Colonial Unrest advice!

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Re: Colonial Unrest advice!

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

Well I for one was confusing full bleed with full coverage. Forgive the newbie mistake. I also didn't realize this back was intended for the unrest series, I thought it was just an abstract idea for the future. I gotta get more sleep.
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 15

Unread post by rjtomlinson1977 »

nECr0MaNCeD wrote:Well I for one was confusing full bleed with full coverage. Forgive the newbie mistake. I also didn't realize this back was intended for the unrest series, I thought it was just an abstract idea for the future. I gotta get more sleep.
I was confused also about the full bleed vs full coverage. I was playing around with the back to make it more modern but keep portions that reflect Colonial America. For example, the main focal point the interlocking rings represent the original 13 colonies. Of course two of the rings are hidden but you can get the point. It was a symbol to say "We Are One". I think on the back of money there's a sentence in Latin (or some crazy non-english language) that says something along the lines "Out of many, ONE"
Barclay Mountains Co.
nECr0MaNCeD

rjtomlinson1977 wrote:
nECr0MaNCeD wrote:Well I for one was confusing full bleed with full coverage. Forgive the newbie mistake. I also didn't realize this back was intended for the unrest series, I thought it was just an abstract idea for the future. I gotta get more sleep.
I was confused also about the full bleed vs full coverage. I was playing around with the back to make it more modern but keep portions that reflect Colonial America. For example, the main focal point the interlocking rings represent the original 13 colonies. Of course two of the rings are hidden but you can get the point. It was a symbol to say "We Are One". I think on the back of money there's a sentence in Latin (or some crazy non-english language) that says something along the lines "Out of many, ONE"
LOL. That would be E Pluribus Unum.
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Here's an updated George Washington card. I'm aiming to do two decks with two totally different courts. The backs will be similar with slight changes... one will be blue (as shown) and the other will be red to compliment the blue. Together it should look like a very American style deck. :D
As of right now both decks will be Colonial Unrest but with different subtitles.... maybe Fall of an Empire for the first deck and Rise of the Republic for the other deck.
Should the second deck be a 100% American Court opposed to half American and half British like the first one?
Attachments
Colonial sample.jpg
Barclay Mountains Co.
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Looking really good! :D I'm glad the second deck will have a different set of courts. If the second deck is Rose of the Republic, I guess it makes sense to have all American courts.
Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

The back is nice and the court is nice but I think they don't go well together since the back is rather bright and the court is sepia-esque. And could you make the borders thinner? :D

As for the second deck, the more different it is from the first deck (as long as the theme is still the same) the better it is for me.
Customizedcards

Unread post by Customizedcards »

I really like the design of this. You should enter it into the design contest. You could win 100 free decks. http://customizedplayingcards.com/desig ... s-contest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

Yashi wrote:The back is nice and the court is nice but I think they don't go well together since the back is rather bright and the court is sepia-esque. And could you make the borders thinner? :D

As for the second deck, the more different it is from the first deck (as long as the theme is still the same) the better it is for me.
I was going to say exactly this. The back is very clean while the faces are like a pencil drawing. They definitely fight each other.
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Any suggestions on how to make the faces compliment the backs more or the other way around? I could do a sepia back color as I was thinking about at first.
Barclay Mountains Co.
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

I really really like the way you did the faces, so if you have to change something, I'd prefer you change the back. That being said, I do like the color of the back, it's a really nice shade of blue.... I don't think the color is the issue, but more the style, like Lotrek said, with the back being clean and the faces having the pencil look. Maybe you can give the back that pencil look, too?
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

Wow the illustrations are great!
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

It's looking like a July 4th launch date for Colonial Unrest (maybe in the evening of July 3rd). There's a few surprises I'm trying to get ready before the launch so it depends how soon I can get things wrapped up. Many people associate the Unrest Series about war... which it is but the true meaning is something completely different. The true meaning about the Unrest Series is freedom. That's why I saved the American Revolution for the final chapter. In Global Unrest we joined with other allied nations to bring an end of a tyrant and in Civil Unrest we redefined the words "All Men Are Created Equal." In the end we couldn't fight for the freedom of others before we could fight for our own freedom.
It's not a coincidence that the Unrest Series has the intials US... not just because the United States is a major player within all three decks but because the decks are to represent all of us (not just the United States but all freedom loving nations of the world).
Barclay Mountains Co.
nECr0MaNCeD

rjtomlinson1977 wrote:It's looking like a July 4th launch date for Colonial Unrest (maybe in the evening of July 3rd). There's a few surprises I'm trying to get ready before the launch so it depends how soon I can get things wrapped up. Many people associate the Unrest Series about war... which it is but the true meaning is something completely different. The true meaning about the Unrest Series is freedom. That's why I saved the American Revolution for the final chapter. In Global Unrest we joined with other allied nations to bring an end of a tyrant and in Civil Unrest we redefined the words "All Men Are Created Equal." In the end we couldn't fight for the freedom of others before we could fight for our own freedom.
It's not a coincidence that the Unrest Series has the intials US... not just because the United States is a major player within all three decks but because the decks are to represent all of us (not just the United States but all freedom loving nations of the world).
Bravo sir. Not just on the great decks but the theme and the play on initials. I am eagerly awaiting the KS campaign.

PS I finally got my fans to work (most of the time) I finally "mastered" it with my newly acquired Global Unrest decks. They fan beautifully. They are an understated masterpiece.