Moustache or No Moustache, That is the Question

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
WillHart CthulhuWho1
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Moustache or No Moustache, That is the Question

Unread post by WillHart CthulhuWho1 »

Greetings from Fullerton, California (Again)!

I'm taking my time working on my first deck design (code named, The Harthaven Deck), with a constant artistic overview by my wife, and I've run into a slight artistic question.

I love the idea of restoring the King of Hearts' moustache for this deck, which was lost long ago; and yet, I'm wondering if doing so would put most people off by there no longer being a king without a moustache in the deck.

I'll admit that I've even been tempted (but haven't done it yet!), to put a moustache on the lowly Jack of Clubs; so all of the men would be sporting a lip broom. But I can't really find any historical information that puts any facial hair on what appears to be the youngest Jack.

I'll probably debate with myself over the King's Moustache, right up until these cards get submitted to the USPCC (for Bicycle branding) a few months from now; so it's amazing how such a minor detail can haunt your imagination.

Custom pips, indices, backs, court cards, tuck case, Bee stock (if the funding allows, even though it causes extra delays), Bicycle branding, with an Air-Magic-Linoid finish (whatever the USPCC currently wants to call the finish they are using on their Tally-Ho decks); but I'm not going to reveal the look of the deck until right before it's ready for a Kickstarter release.

But as a Thank You for all of the great information here, United Cardists folks will get plenty of info on the release date and time, for access to Early Bird deals.

So what do you think of the King of Hearts moustache question?

Will Hart
Will Hart
Fullerton, California
Most of my collection:
http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/277/images
Eoghann
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Re: Moustache or No Moustache, That is the Question

Unread post by Eoghann »

If you're not going for traditional, I say slap some serious facial hair on him. I'd say keep the Jacks hairless or put youthful facial hair like goatees and give the kings massive lumberjack beards to tell the age difference.
WillHart CthulhuWho1
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Without giving too much away, "Traditional" is close to what I'm creating; but that doesn't stop me from wanting to add some much older "Traditional" elements, like the restoration of the King's moustache...

Is there such a thing as "Early Traditional," versus "Newer Traditional?"

Or would that be, "Original" versus "Newer?"

It's kind of like the "Squeezer" USPCC era Court cards versus the newer current USPCC Court cards; which is "Traditional?"

I'll admit, I'm even a big fan of the 1860's through late 1800's Court cards too.

So help me with your definition of "Traditional," and I'll take that into consideration in our discussions too.

I've got a series of goals for the deck I'm designing; which is for it to be a deck you'd really want to play card games with, while being a deck you'd want to collect and display in cut and uncut formats visually, and will also be a deck that anyone doing card magic routines (including stage and close-up) will find has a few special features built-in for them too. All of these goals also require a certain amount of stealth in the Tuck Case too; so we'll have to see how it all works out for the first of three related decks when I finally kick off the project.

And if there isn't enough public interest, I'll just have MPC print a few decks for myself and a few friends; and I'll know I gave it my best shot!

Will Hart
Will Hart
Fullerton, California
Most of my collection:
sastian
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by sastian »

shouldnt the title of this post be changed to " I moustache you a question...." :)
WillHart CthulhuWho1
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

It Could have been:
To moustache, or not to moustache, that is the question—
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Whiskers,
Or to take Razors against a Sea of face hairs...
Will Hart
Fullerton, California
Most of my collection: