Apocalyptica Chromatics

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
malanthrax

Re: Apocalyptica Chromatics

Unread post by malanthrax »

Artist will rework the spade and I will rework on the layout of the hearts and the pips coloring.

Thanks! Any other comments feel free.

Edited. Moving to standard pips for all corners but we will gussy them up a bit of course.
New nine of clubs(haven't changed font) but added the standard pips on the corners.
With different number and corner pip color
With both blue to stand out.

Thinking of doing the corner pips blue and the numbers black.
Also a big thank you to everyone. The comments are truly helpful.
Attachments
9 of clubsround.jpg
9 of clubsroundsymbols pips.png
neongrey

Unread post by neongrey »

Liking the third club design best, though I'm not sold on doing the number and pip different colours. Either way I think it's a great compromise choice, because it is a neat club design. I think I figured out why I assumed it was the spade though-- the borders are very smooth, and a little more spade-like. With the actual spade looking somewhat non-standard the combination made the clubs look more like spades.

That being said, I think with the more distinct index pips it's a lot more obvious that the club is a club, and makes it easier to appreciate the neat tree design it's got there. So I definitely think you're on to something there.
malanthrax

Thanks Neon. The meeting is over and everyone is going out to make some changes suggested here and elsewhere. By Sunday we will lock down the small design stuff.

As for pip/index being different colors. I agree. Currently we are blue blue for black cards and red red for red cards. I am thinking we will keep it this way as the blue really draws attention where black does not. The blue is also the same blue as on the back of the cards and lends itself well to connecting them.

I am however open to any other interpretations of that.
malanthrax

Our kings as they stand now.
We are redesigning the spades though.

And some of the cards with the new font lighter backs as well. Left the darker back on some to show the contrast
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled2.jpg
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

This is looking great! I really like the new indexes (indices?).

I wasn't sure about the blue before, but seeing the cards laid out it pops out in a good way.

I just realized I hadn't given the back design much thought, but now that I take a good look I can't help but be bothered about the thick white ornaments close to the center. They stand out too much to me, like someone signed it with a white sharpie. Maybe the lines could be just a tad thinner? I like everything else about it, especially the color.

The court cards are awesome btw :D
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
malanthrax

MagikFingerz wrote:This is looking great! I really like the new indexes (indices?).

I wasn't sure about the blue before, but seeing the cards laid out it pops out in a good way.

I just realized I hadn't given the back design much thought, but now that I take a good look I can't help but be bothered about the thick white ornaments close to the center. They stand out too much to me, like someone signed it with a white sharpie. Maybe the lines could be just a tad thinner? I like everything else about it, especially the color.

The court cards are awesome btw :D
Awesome thanks.
About the backs. Do you mean the symbols(like an embellished N) or the lines that go from the edges to the center that have twists? I just want to make sure before I see what the artist things about it.

Tell me if I hit the right place in this edit.
Attachments
bluecardsizedandonbacksquggels gone.jpg
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

I meant the symbols. Btw, are they actually an "N" and an "o"?
- Tom

Check out my collection

malanthrax

MagikFingerz wrote:I meant the symbols. Btw, are they actually an "N" and an "o"?
No they aren't but that is awesome. We do have a couple subtle hints of other pics inside the back. But not the word no:) I played around and just had them lined out in the attachment above.

EDIT: Actually you know. I have to ask the artist. I know he said that he embedded a couple things into the backs. It could indeed say no. The script is based on the role-playing game the cards were originally a part of as a KickStarter. A diagonal script of writing they use.
neongrey

Yeah, they're looking really great now. Looking forward to the KS!
malanthrax

Hey thanks guys for the words.

We are pretty much final on our design now aside from the spades but since thats just a design change the layout of the cards and so forth is a mundane issue. I have shown them on a couple boards and its been great getting such positive feedback and amazing well thought out questions and requests for changes.

I am excited for the KS. I know there are a lot of cards, sadly we are a month late due to our RPG kickstarter. But I think that worked in our favor in a huge way due to posts here and the all around amazing amount of help everyone has supplied.
malanthrax

Got word from the accountant we had help us with the KS. Looks like we will be able to do some great "Early bird" deals and our deck will most likely hit at 8 as a standard price. Not as low as I would want(I wanted 7) but it just isn't really doable and the early bird deals lets some people get in for that quick 1-2 deck start.

However we also got some great news. Locally a tee shirt company is going to do our art for our teeshirts. Which means we step up the shirt in quality and get the shirts without shipping and can customize them more than originally thought. We got to drop it down to 15.00 for a double printed shirt with custom sleeves if a long sleeve one.

We also got a look at our custom dice and poker chips. Both are amazing. It is all coming together.
neongrey

Are the dice d6s or will there be a polyhedral set? I know it's usually a d6 for these but since it's tied to an RPG I figure it's worth asking.
malanthrax

neongrey wrote:Are the dice d6s or will there be a polyhedral set? I know it's usually a d6 for these but since it's tied to an RPG I figure it's worth asking.
D4's, 6's or 10's.
neongrey

Oh, I like you. :)
malanthrax

Got some art bits.
Queen of Hearts on the card, Spades without the spade(still under redesign) Also a couple others in various forms that will be finalized tonight. Looks like Wednesday is our go day.
Also a first pass out one of our Dragon Jokers.
Attachments
Queen of Hearts.jpg
jack_of_hearts_card2.jpg
queen_of_spades_card.jpg
malanthrax

Whoops.
Here is the Dragon Joker draft.

Once we get the black dragon joker I will then decide if I am keeping dragons as jokers or not. I have 3 sets of Jokers to decide from.
Attachments
red_joker_card2.jpg
Assassino13

Unread post by Assassino13 »

That Dragon joker is pretty nifty! By "Black Dragon Joker" did you mean that red smoke will be black? Because personally I think that would look amazing.
My Youtube! "Time never waits. It delivers all equally to the same end. You, who wish to safeguard the future, however limited it may be. Go forth without falter, with your heart as your guide.
malanthrax

That would look good. We will actually have a unique joker for the black joker that is another dragon and most likely it will have blue shading with the black and white to continue our tri color shading on the face and Ace cards. I will show it. I am assuming the artist will be done soon.

Our new Spade
Attachments
spade2.png
Oswin
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Oswin »

When you launch your project on KS !? Thanks
"Le temps passe, mais les oeufs durs !" - Daniel Prévost
malanthrax

Oswin wrote:When you launch your project on KS !? Thanks
November 1st if everything falls together correctly. It should. I don't see much impacting us. We have one person helping us on the east coast so the Hurricane Sandy may slow us down by a day or so.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

malanthrax wrote:Our new Spade
LOVE IT!

- Tom

Check out my collection

malanthrax

MagikFingerz wrote:
malanthrax wrote:Our new Spade
LOVE IT!

Thanks Magik. I really appreciate the ideas and pushing to get that done that you personally did. I could have really bumbled that and thinking about it, reading your comments and a couple others, then going back to the drawing board really helped us.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

My pleasure :D

I always enjoy contributing with what I can to a deck design. It makes it all the more enjoyable and personal to back and own the decks.
- Tom

Check out my collection

malanthrax

Ok all.
Here is the preview KickStarter. We are missing Spades cards in various places(to be put in tonight or tomorrow) editing needs to be done, and final art has yet to be posted. The general rewards are placed, and a section for managing pledges has been placed as well.

Things I am thinking about changing:
Full size cards for kings and samples. Makes the KickStarter look HUGE.

Feel free to hammer away.

Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/117 ... n=ec682a3e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some notes:
Pricing has been specced out. If you see something really amiss feel free to post it and I will check it out. I could have copied a price wrong.

Card prices. We have 3 offerings. 2 early birds and the normal price at 8.00. We tried to lower our international prices to the lowest possible cost without impacting any other rewards but if you see something amiss point it out.

We didn't go nuts on rewards. We have a couple unique extras but many are limited because WE are producing them. So instead of 1000's of card boxes we have a couple dozen that will be boosted if we get a large number of pledges at those levels.

If that sounds idiotic, feel free to say so.
neongrey

Yeah, I'd probably thumbnail and link full versions on the cards. It's really good that you're offering the images of the full cards because it really shows off the great detail, so I wouldn't lose them entirely, but they don't need to be in people's faces.

You've honestly got the best rate on shipping to Canada I've seen, so I have to say that's very much appreciate.

Got a typo when discussing the pips: "a razer sharp weapon for the Spades," -- should be 'razor'.

I have to say too that the steel cards are a really neat idea, I'm definitely interested in those, price permitting.
malanthrax

THanks Neon!

New 9 of spades mock and Ace
Attachments
9 of spadesnew small pips.png
ace of spades.png
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

How does the 2 different colored back designs fit into the rewards? Can you specify which colors you want in a PM or something?

And is the early bird for single decks only?
- Tom

Check out my collection

malanthrax

The early bird is "currently" for 1 deck. There are variations of that reward. Some with unlimited and some with 1. So we went with 1. But you aren't the first to ask. So I am going to go change it to unlimited.

IF...IF we hit the stretch goal for the other back than those who pledged would be able to exchange 1 for 1.
malanthrax

Changed early birds to unlimited amount of decks.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh, it's a stretch goal. Coolio 8-)
- Tom