First attempt

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
kennyhughes

First attempt

Unread post by kennyhughes »

Hi guys/gals,

I'm new to the card community, but I'm having a lot of fun so far. That dang Cthulhu deck on kickstarter has gotten me hooked on finding cool card designs :-P.

Anywho, this is my first attempt at designing a deck of playing cards. It's a little rough around the edges (been awhile since I've done anything artistic, and I am learning to use GIMP, no photoshop access atm), but I've had a blast working on it the past week or so.

I hope you like it, constructive feedback is welcome of course :-) .

P.S. I'm not done with the court cards, so most have placeholders.

http://pixelplayingcards.imgur.com
RSLancastr
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 2500

Re: First attempt

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Kenny:

Thanks for showing us your design.

Unfortunately, the images are so small, and at such low resolution, that it is difficult to really judge them.

Why are they called "Pixie Cards? Is that the name of the deck, or of your account where you posted the images?

Based on what I saw, I would have to say that they seemed a bit generic. The only thing "custom" I noticed was that you replaced the pips on the number cards with "5 X" (on the fives, etc.

Perhaps the courts, when you can post them, would give us a better idea of the deck, but I hope they are at a higher rfesolution, and larger in size than the images you have posted there thus far.

-Robert
-Marcel Marceau
kennyhughes

The images are 1500x1200, is that too low of resolution? As for the style, they are "PIXEL", not "PIXIE" haha. They are supposed to be blocky and pixellated. Here are some examples of them at full resolution:

RSLancastr

Oh, PIXEL! Now I think I see where you were going with the design.

Hmm, interesting...

Did using the pixellated pips not work out on the number cards? I think it might be more consistent with the deck's "theme" (as I understand it, anyway).
-Marcel Marceau
kennyhughes

RSLancastr wrote:Oh, PIXEL! Now I think I see where you were going with the design.

Hmm, interesting...

Did using the pixellated pips not work out on the number cards? I think it might be more consistent with the deck's "theme" (as I understand it, anyway).
Do you mean how clean the actual numbers themselves look? I have actually thought that myself. I'm torn because technically they are pixellated (I drew everything myself...one square at a time :-p), they are just so square that you can't really tell. I tried using more diagonals in a couple of numbers so they would fit the visual (instead of conceptual) theme a bit better, but they didn't come out very good. I'll try again this weekend if I have time, see if I can make it work.

Thanks for the feedback!

Also: I was tempted to mess with you when you said Pixie haha. Like "yeah there are pixies all over those things...you can't see them?"
RSLancastr

No, I wasn't talking about the numbers, but the pips themselves. I wondered why you had not made those pips like the ones used in the corner indices. Or am I forgetting. I'll scroll back up and look again...

Oops - never mind!

As for pulling my chain about invisible Pixies, I'm a Skeptic, and would have asked for evidence of your claim. :D
-Marcel Marceau
kennyhughes

They are still pixelated, just a little bigger is all. If you're asking why I didn't use seven hearts instead of (heart) X 7, I was going for a throwback to the old NES games like Mario or The Legend of Zelda. For example, in Zelda you would have a picture of a bomb x # of bombs. Like this:

I was hoping it would come across well but I guess not. I'll try a mock-up of a more traditional pip style

EDIT: Haha well I might have been able to convince you I am crazy at least ;-)
RSLancastr

I get it now, thanks!
-Marcel Marceau
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Good first attempt... but, and take this as constructive criticism... there's a reason people playing XBOX 360 instead of Commodore 64 Games now-a-days... it's a clever take on cards, but it actually bugs my eyes while looking at the designs and having them THAT pixelated... I know there's other artistic styles of pixelating imagery - i.e. the new animation film coming out... Perhaps keep the pixelation, but attempt to add more detail...

Kind of a catch-22 huh?
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

I think if you really want to continue the 8-bit theme, you should completely redesign all the court cards, instead of taking the traditional faces and "pixelating" them. Might look cleaner.

I'm a big fan of retro gaming (and gaming in general), and I'd like to see this get made.
Keep it up!
No matter where you go... there you are :|
neongrey

Unread post by neongrey »

Yeah, I would legitimately be interested in an 8- or 16-bit themed deck but I'd want to see something a bit more refined than that.
Evan

Unread post by Evan »

It's a cool, unique idea, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm sure some people will like this deck and others won't.
elcyciB

Unread post by elcyciB »

I love the idea and have a working atari....sort of. Any interest in making some of the court cards characters? Like pitfall, etc?

Either way, I love the look and would definitely buy. Keep it up!
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

I would go with Intellivision characters, over Atari.
Easier to recognize ;)
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

I would go without copyright infringement.
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

Russell wrote:I would go without copyright infringement.
Ha ;)
I was speaking more about style and theme over actually ripping off character designs.