My New Deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
mrdude42

My New Deck

Unread post by mrdude42 »

UPDATE: Update from old pics from this first post:

ORIGINAL POST:

I still need to think of a name for this deck but I've been working on it for quite some time now. I think the hardest part is doing the faces and the hands... Does anyone have any feedback on what I've got so far?

Assassino13

Re: My New Deck

Unread post by Assassino13 »

I like it so far! I'm assuming it's a work in progress?
My Youtube! "Time never waits. It delivers all equally to the same end. You, who wish to safeguard the future, however limited it may be. Go forth without falter, with your heart as your guide.
Adam

Unread post by Adam »

hmmmm.... I think I'm liking this! Can't wait to see more. do you have a theme your working on or just working on the court right now?

The King of hearts face he looks confused. as for the hands go for a more realistic hand not mittens ;)
Strag
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Love the idea of a 4 color deck, I wish more designers did this.

I agree with the more realistic hands, and really like the eyes on the King of Hearts.

Interestingly I also like the cards that are somewhat half-finished (detail in one face, not in the other) even though I'm assuming you are midway through design. Or maybe that's on purpose?

Anyway, would like to see more.
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

Looks like a really good start.
What i really appreciate is the colors for the suite,green for the clubs ,blue for the diamonds and black for the spades/red for the hearts.
No doubt that this will look funky in numerical order (fans!)
You are def. On something with great potential here.
Keep us posted please.
RSLancastr
Decks Owned: 2500

Unread post by RSLancastr »

I like the courts, mrdude42!

Decks with custom courts are my favorites, and I like what you have done so far!

Your King of Clubs reminds me:

Has anyone else wondered why the King of Clubs is usually shown with an orb floating in mid-air in front of him?

There is a reason!

Back in the very early days of playing cards (centuries ago), the King of Clubs was originally drawn holding an orb in front of himself.

As other artists created their own decks, they copied the original, but with slight changes which were sometimes errors.

One of those errors was when they drew the King of Clubs, what had originally been the the fingers of the king's hand holding the orb from below morphed, over time, into the petals of a floral pattern on the orb itself.

Later card artists drew the orb without the floral pattern, and so all trace of what were originally the fingers of the king's hand were gone, leaving the orb apparently suspended in mid air!

Another bit or playing card design trivia:

In the game of Bridge, if a player inadvertently plays a card from the wrong suit (mistaking a club for a spade, for example), this illegal play results in what is called a "Revoke".

Decks where pips of all four suits are of a different color (rather than two suits being black and two suits being red) make such inadvertent plays more unlikely, and so are called "No Revoke" decks.
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

By the way, mrdude42:

The King of Hearts is often called The Suicide King because he holds the sword behind his head, and the flat, two-dimensional view we have of it makes it look like he has stuck the sword through his head.

Your King of Hearts most definitely has his sword running through his head - an odd touch that I actually sorta like!
-Marcel Marceau
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

RSLancastr wrote:By the way, mrdude42:

The King of Hearts is often called The Suicide King because he holds the sword behind his head, and the flat, two-dimensional view we have of it makes it look like he has stuck the sword through his head.

Your King of Hearts most definitely has his sword running through his head - an odd touch that I actually sorta like!
Actually, we still don't see it going through his head, only his hair ;)

I like it too :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
RSLancastr

True, MagikFingers, nor would we without X-rays, but it is definitely not behind his head.
-Marcel Marceau
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

like it!!!! waiting for more! good job!
lumpyliew

Unread post by lumpyliew »

Wow those faces are awesome , is there a design for the tuck case too?
Don't Worry , Be Happy Cheers!
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Mr Dude, I'm liking this deck. I understand it's a work in progress, but you've got a heck of a start... Add enough detail to the face cards and get something great for the tuck box and you've got something that would be very successful on KickStarter... Don't overdue it though... you're simplicity in the design is the big appeal for me...
mrdude42

The Backsides

This is not done yet but what do you guys think of the backside I've been working on for this deck? I'm trying to design it so it can be easily turned into a marked deck too.

And a couple queens:

CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

I'm really liking the look of this. Keep up the good work!

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

Good looking back, so far.

Currently, it has a subtle one-way with the suit symbols and words being in different positions on either end. Is that intentional or just a first draft?
Also, maybe consider making the 'short side' border more seamless with the 'long side' border. Either directly, or with similar design elements.

I personally never like the "lintel-ed" look as a card border (see picture).
postlintel.gif
postlintel.gif (9.3 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
Otherwise, looks nice!
Keep it up :)
No matter where you go... there you are :|
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Looking good so far, everyones gonna tell you that thinner borders would be better. I would also prefer a border around the courts, it would make it appear to be more 'regal' which seems to be what you are going for. Also i think the no-faces on the courts are a good move. All in all, theres lotsa potential in this deck, but black and white decks are just not my thing.
RSLancastr

FYI...

A deck such as this one, in which the pips in each of the four suits has its own unique color, is called a "No-Revoke" deck.

The name comes from card games such as Bridge, in which playing a card of the incorrect suit results in what is called a "revoke". So a deck with a different color for each suit is supposed to help prevent Revokes, as it is more difficult for a player to mistake a club for a spade or a heart for a diamond, thus, "No Revoke".
-Marcel Marceau
mrdude42

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Here's what I got so far for the rest of the cards. What do you guys think? It's probably hard to see so you may wanna download the picture with the dropbox link to be able to zoom in more clearly.

Note these are not complete. Still a work in progress.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dc3rfnny5cqg3 ... er%202.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

walrus

Unread post by walrus »

I really like where you are heading with these. Custom courts are clean and the back design is comming
along nice.
mrdude42

Which looks better? Pips/Numbers on 2 corners or 4 corners?

sms69x
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

mrdude42 wrote:Which looks better? Pips/Numbers on 2 corners or 4 corners?

Hi would prefer on the 4 corners! I'm right handed, but with cards i'm lefty!!! So with the pips and numbers on the 4 corners I can fan the cards and the numbers will show!!!
RSLancastr

sms69x wrote:

Hi would prefer on the 4 corners! I'm right handed, but with cards i'm lefty!!! So with the pips and numbers on the 4 corners I can fan the cards and the numbers will show!!!
I'm torn on this one. I think that the two-corner one LOOKS better (probably mostly because it is what I am used to), but the four-corner one may be better from a marketing standpoint, as it makes the cards more usable for lefties.
-Marcel Marceau
samwisethegray
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by samwisethegray »

I prefer the two corners! It looks way to busy with all four corners!
RSLancastr

samwisethegray wrote:I prefer the two corners! It looks way to busy with all four corners!
And more so on the tens than on any other cards.

I have a few decks in my collection with the indices in all four corners (mostly European decks, sometimes marketed as "Left-handed" decks, although they are actually "Right OR Left-handed" decks), and yes, they all seem "busy", mostly, I think, because they are just not what we are used to seeing.

I wonder if people thought that decks with indices in TWO corners looked "busy" when THEY were first introduced in the 1880s. (prior to that, decks had NO indices).
-Marcel Marceau
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

RSLancastr wrote:
samwisethegray wrote:I wonder if people thought that decks with indices in TWO corners looked "busy" when THEY were first introduced in the 1880s. (prior to that, decks had NO indices).
In the 1880's, I doubt they could have conceived of what the term "busy" meant. :|

But I take your meaning. Who was it that first thought to put indices on the cards, and what did people think when it happened? Hmm...
No matter where you go... there you are :|
RSLancastr

Sharpie wrote:In the 1880's, I doubt they could have conceived of what the term "busy" meant. :|
As I typed that post in I thought of adding "...or "crowded", or whatever word they would have used instead of "busy".
But I take your meaning. Who was it that first thought to put indices on the cards, and what did people think when it happened? Hmm...
Evidently, enough people thought "hey, this is great! I can tell what cards are in my hand without taking them out of my hand!" to make it catch on.

ETA: I have a few decks in my collection old enough to not have indices, and it is...odd and frustrating... to hold them in a "hand" formation, and not be able to tell what they are.
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Well, I happened upon one of those European decks with the indices in all four corners.

I don't think tyhe cards in it looked "busy" - even the tens!

Here's a ten from the deck:

I think that the "frame" helps to prevent the "busy-ness" via some type of subtle optical illusion.
-Marcel Marceau
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

In general, I tend to favor the pips in all four corners. Your face design, however, seems to emphasize simplicity and elegance. Thus, I think the 2-corner-only pips are the way to go, because that results in a cleaner, more elegant look and feel.

Incidentally, I like the backs and I like the courts very much... but the two don't seem to really be from the same deck, design-wise. The courts have such a wispy feel to them, while the backs are bold and utilitarian (in a good way, to be sure). Faces: rounded. Backs: square.

Even if you stick with the direction you're heading, I'd love to own a couple decks, but if you could make the backs speak the same design language as the faces, that would be so much the better. And then, you can design your next deck where the faces match your current back design. Win-win!

Good stuff, mrdude42.
This space intentionally left blank.
mrdude42

I know it's been a while but I finally got some time to get back into these. Made some updates. Lot of people seemed to dislike the original 4 colors for pips (Red, Black, Blue, Green) so I'm trying out just making them red and black like usual. Also added more details to court cards. Aces still need work. Spade court cards could use some more details added as well. Thoughts?

mrdude42

Playing around with adding some colors.