My New Deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
sms69x
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Re: My New Deck

Unread post by sms69x »

mrdude42 wrote:Which looks better? Pips/Numbers on 2 corners or 4 corners?

Hi would prefer on the 4 corners! I'm right handed, but with cards i'm lefty!!! So with the pips and numbers on the 4 corners I can fan the cards and the numbers will show!!!
RSLancastr
Decks Owned: 2500

Unread post by RSLancastr »

sms69x wrote:

Hi would prefer on the 4 corners! I'm right handed, but with cards i'm lefty!!! So with the pips and numbers on the 4 corners I can fan the cards and the numbers will show!!!
I'm torn on this one. I think that the two-corner one LOOKS better (probably mostly because it is what I am used to), but the four-corner one may be better from a marketing standpoint, as it makes the cards more usable for lefties.
-Marcel Marceau
samwisethegray
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by samwisethegray »

I prefer the two corners! It looks way to busy with all four corners!
RSLancastr

samwisethegray wrote:I prefer the two corners! It looks way to busy with all four corners!
And more so on the tens than on any other cards.

I have a few decks in my collection with the indices in all four corners (mostly European decks, sometimes marketed as "Left-handed" decks, although they are actually "Right OR Left-handed" decks), and yes, they all seem "busy", mostly, I think, because they are just not what we are used to seeing.

I wonder if people thought that decks with indices in TWO corners looked "busy" when THEY were first introduced in the 1880s. (prior to that, decks had NO indices).
-Marcel Marceau
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

RSLancastr wrote:
samwisethegray wrote:I wonder if people thought that decks with indices in TWO corners looked "busy" when THEY were first introduced in the 1880s. (prior to that, decks had NO indices).
In the 1880's, I doubt they could have conceived of what the term "busy" meant. :|

But I take your meaning. Who was it that first thought to put indices on the cards, and what did people think when it happened? Hmm...
No matter where you go... there you are :|
RSLancastr

Sharpie wrote:In the 1880's, I doubt they could have conceived of what the term "busy" meant. :|
As I typed that post in I thought of adding "...or "crowded", or whatever word they would have used instead of "busy".
But I take your meaning. Who was it that first thought to put indices on the cards, and what did people think when it happened? Hmm...
Evidently, enough people thought "hey, this is great! I can tell what cards are in my hand without taking them out of my hand!" to make it catch on.

ETA: I have a few decks in my collection old enough to not have indices, and it is...odd and frustrating... to hold them in a "hand" formation, and not be able to tell what they are.
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Well, I happened upon one of those European decks with the indices in all four corners.

I don't think tyhe cards in it looked "busy" - even the tens!

Here's a ten from the deck:

I think that the "frame" helps to prevent the "busy-ness" via some type of subtle optical illusion.
-Marcel Marceau
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

In general, I tend to favor the pips in all four corners. Your face design, however, seems to emphasize simplicity and elegance. Thus, I think the 2-corner-only pips are the way to go, because that results in a cleaner, more elegant look and feel.

Incidentally, I like the backs and I like the courts very much... but the two don't seem to really be from the same deck, design-wise. The courts have such a wispy feel to them, while the backs are bold and utilitarian (in a good way, to be sure). Faces: rounded. Backs: square.

Even if you stick with the direction you're heading, I'd love to own a couple decks, but if you could make the backs speak the same design language as the faces, that would be so much the better. And then, you can design your next deck where the faces match your current back design. Win-win!

Good stuff, mrdude42.
This space intentionally left blank.
mrdude42

Unread post by mrdude42 »

I know it's been a while but I finally got some time to get back into these. Made some updates. Lot of people seemed to dislike the original 4 colors for pips (Red, Black, Blue, Green) so I'm trying out just making them red and black like usual. Also added more details to court cards. Aces still need work. Spade court cards could use some more details added as well. Thoughts?

mrdude42

Unread post by mrdude42 »

Playing around with adding some colors.

Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

I'm visiting this thread every once in a while, not gonna lie, I always leave being puzzled.

I kinda like what I see but I don't like the modular/kit feel of the courts. Many repeating elements. The added colours helps hidding those a tad but, I still personally don't like that. I would like to see more individuality at the courts.

You didn't part with the no-revoke idea still, as your courts are still clearly four colours - which was kind of the worst compromise. Either go with four colours (which I don't have a problem with and even would endorse if it is according to your vision) or make them two colour (to please the crowd) but then change the colours of the courts as well, imo.

I for my liking would make the courts a notch slimmer, less bulky.

I hope that helps or gives at least some food for thought. Again, overall I kinda like them and you have some fun elements there.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.