New Deck - Esquire playing cards...

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
InvictusPlayers
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 20

New Deck - Esquire playing cards...

Unread post by InvictusPlayers »

Hello everyone. I'm working on my first deck and found the United Cardists site. I thought it would be a good idea to post my progress as I go so I could get a feel for what everyone thinks before I try to take this deck public. I've just started working on it and have the back design finished.

The theme is Esquire. I wanted to make a deck that you might find at a cigar lounge or mens club from the early 20th century. A deck for a gentlemen who spent most of their time seriously playing cards. After thinking a while about this I decided it would be interesting to use the idea of an esquire for the ultimate gentlemens deck. Historically the word was used to describe someone who assisted a knight. In the past century it was used after someone's name to denote his title as a gentleman or as someone who practiced law. So I thought it might be interesting to take this all into account and develop a deck that might have been used historically by the upper class.

Anyways, just thought I'd introduce myself and post some updates for you guys as I made progress. Good to be here. :)
Attachments
My Esquire back design.
My Esquire back design.
EsquireBack.jpg (103.76 KiB) Viewed 754 times
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Re: New Deck - Esquire playing cards...

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Looks like you have a big old corner badge which is fine. It's important to imagine or see what the back of the card looks like when you fan it....You have a "2-way back" and have not broken any rules... Looks like your bleeding black to the cut border which is also fine. I don't see anything wrong.

I can keep a secret... shhhh
Attachments
shhhh
shhhh
Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 10.28.32 PM.png (12.8 KiB) Viewed 732 times
corner badge
corner badge
Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 10.30.23 PM.png (16.16 KiB) Viewed 732 times
RussellSprouts
InvictusPlayers
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 20

Re: New Deck - Esquire playing cards...

Unread post by InvictusPlayers »

Hey thanks for commenting! Do you think the corner badge adds or detracts from the overall design? I like the unique feel, but I am concerned about the impact on the ribbons and fans of the deck. Maybe I'll post some examples so people can give some comments about each. Then again once I put it together the answer may become obvious.