"Smoke" a new custom deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

"Smoke" a new custom deck

Unread post by Conturbia »

Hi, friends, we are a small start-up in Italy (anybody else from Italy?) and we are working on some ideas for new decks.

One of the most promising theme is "smoke": tobacco, cigars, cigarettes, people that usually smoke (think about casablanca!)

We are thinking of gangsters, cuban people, "femme fatales" and young seductive men.

the back is just a draft, based on "tobacco leaves", but I asked for something more "smoke" themed.

Please, find attached (if I manage to do it!) some images.

Ah, I'm not the illustrator, please forgive me if I'm not familiar with graphic formats, it could seem that the borders are really wide, but it' something that has to do with USPCC templates.. they should be normal-sized.

Ok, what's your opinion? Thank you very much :)
Attachments
Queen of Clubs
Queen of Clubs
Queen of clubs.jpg (232.74 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Jack of hearts
Jack of hearts
jack of hearts.jpg (128.02 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
King of spades
King of spades
king of spades.jpg (136.51 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: "Smoke" a new custom deck

Ok, two more images..
Attachments
10 of hearts
10 of hearts
10 of hearts.jpg (68.52 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Back
Back
back.jpg (357.87 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

So you're going to use USPCC? Maybe you could do some research on whichever factory that printed the Pr1me decks, which were made in Italy as far as I know. Those are some of the best non-USPCC cards I've handled. Though you should probably get more opinions on that than mine, many are VERY pro-USPCC :roll:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

MagikFingerz wrote:So you're going to use USPCC? Maybe you could do some research on whichever factory that printed the Pr1me decks, which were made in Italy as far as I know. Those are some of the best non-USPCC cards I've handled. Though you should probably get more opinions on that than mine, many are VERY pro-USPCC :roll:
Thank you!
I will surely contact them. And what do you think about our design? I'm happy to receive feedbacks from collectors, magicians and xcm performers
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Ok, this is the last image :)
Attachments
King of diamonds
King of diamonds
king of diamonds.jpg (181.25 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Conturbia wrote:
MagikFingerz wrote:So you're going to use USPCC? Maybe you could do some research on whichever factory that printed the Pr1me decks, which were made in Italy as far as I know. Those are some of the best non-USPCC cards I've handled. Though you should probably get more opinions on that than mine, many are VERY pro-USPCC :roll:
Thank you!
I will surely contact them. And what do you think about our design? I'm happy to receive feedbacks from collectors, magicians and xcm performers
I love the prime deck, and how it handles. i would have no problems with it being produced at the italian factory. The back design will get cleaned up right? I dont like the one way design due to the suits in the middle, i generally dont like any picture of the suits on a back design.
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

volantangel wrote:
Conturbia wrote:
Thank you!
I love the prime deck, and how it handles. i would have no problems with it being produced at the italian factory. The back design will get cleaned up right? I dont like the one way design due to the suits in the middle, i generally dont like any picture of the suits on a back design.
Yes, the back design will be cleaned up, it's a draft of one of the two options (unfortunately the second option is not yet ready).

Thank you for your valuable feedback, volantangel!
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

I really like this one. Nice clean character designs (although the Jack of Hearts looks like he's eaten too many donuts).

I also agree with volantangel. The back design needs some re-working.
The repeated pipe in the 4 quadrants seems like a let down compared to the unique characters within.
And what is with the significance of the crosses in the corners? Seems random.

Also note the subtle one way in this detail.
back detail.JPG
back detail.JPG (5.65 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
Whatever happens, the court designs will keep me interested in this one. Good stuff! ;)
Good luck!
No matter where you go... there you are :|
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

The courts are excellent! I especially like the Queen. Very elegant design. I'll have to agree with many of the comments about the refinement that the deck will go through. Specifically the back design and the belly on the Jack. I know it's supposed to be his arm but it looks rather odd.
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks to everyone! The back design was just a draft, not intended to be "finished" by any means. The talented guy that made all the drawings used to draw comics and this is his first attempt in designing a deck. It's up to me (and to you! :) - if you like! ) to give the good advices for keeping him in track.

I love the queen of clubs the most. It was the first thing designed for this deck and I believe that that day was a lucky one :D

I suggested to draw a back design where the key element are wisps of smoke and not tobacco leafs. Let's see.. :P
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far and look forward to the revisions, but one thing that's bugging me is that the KoD & QoC look like they're from a different time period than the KoS & JoH. Is that done intentionally and are the other court cards going to be designed for the same period? For instance will the Edwardian era style apply to all the diamonds and 20's style to the spades or are you mixing it up? Because I don't think the queen shown really goes with the other courts. I believe a queen in a bit more of a Flapper style dress would go great with that mob boss looking KoS.

But as a former smoker and lover of tobacciana, I am highly interested in this deck. It could be what the Club 808 Cigar deck should have been.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

chach wrote:I'm liking what I'm seeing so far and look forward to the revisions, but one thing that's bugging me is that the KoD & QoC look like they're from a different time period than the KoS & JoH. Is that done intentionally and are the other court cards going to be designed for the same period? For instance will the Edwardian era style apply to all the diamonds and 20's style to the spades or are you mixing it up? Because I don't think the queen shown really goes with the other courts. I believe a queen in a bit more of a Flapper style dress would go great with that mob boss looking KoS.

But as a former smoker and lover of tobacciana, I am highly interested in this deck. It could be what the Club 808 Cigar deck should have been.
chach, thanks for your comment! You are saying some of the things that a couple of weeks ago I said to the designer... You are right, style and outfits are (currently) different, we were playing with the idea of having a different "kind" of smokers for each suite (gangsters, cuban people, ..). And the drawing style is different too.. some of these choices are just influenced - not decided by me, because I still want the designer to be free to draw what he likes, but .. I'm making sure that the design is coherent.

I prefer to wait for the next revision to talk about the details, in a week or two you will see some updates.. :)
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

I like the concept of "Smoking around the world and through the centuries" if you plan on going that route. Or like chach said to go for a specific period. Like the Bicycle Speakeasy deck.