Pelted Primacy Playing Card Deck (Already in progress)

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
djkyota

Pelted Primacy Playing Card Deck (Already in progress)

Unread post by djkyota »

Hey everyone!
I'm glad I finally found this forum; I have heard many people come here when they want to discover a new custom deck or display theirs. I am here for both.
If you haven't already checked it out, here is my current in-progress custom deck design on KS:

Now, in a previous run of the deck, I had made unfortunate mistakes in the data I had collected from word-of-mouth and quotes from a seemingly unmotivated secretary at the USPCC. That led to a few verbal comments that weren't so much "Excuse me, but you have a mistake in your amounts listed" and much more like "You are a complete and utter embarrassment to playing cards if you think you can come in here with your lousy designs and retarded thought process." I am paraphrasing, of course, but you get the point :P And it is the internet, so realistically I shouldn't expect anything less.

However, that is why I come to you fine people. I am looking for some feedback on my current updates to the project, and wonder if there is anything you would suggest to make it more pledge-worthy to others instead of just avid collectors or members of the furry community. I really am trying to understand why I am at only 10% funding with the number of people who said they'd pledge, so that's why I request some feedback from the people who really know what makes a good deck design :3

So please, if you guys would give me some constructive criticism (and nothing that only has "well, your designs suck and you are retarded" because that's not constructive, that's just plain insensitive) I would gladly take any and all tidbits on why I made a flop this time around. If I do plan on restarting this project, all the criticism I gather from this thread would be implemented on the deck's next (if any) project run. Thanks for taking the time, guys!
I'm thinking about redoing a lot about my previous KS project :I
RSLancastr
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 2500

Re: Pelted Primacy Playing Card Deck (Already in progress)

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Some of this will duplicate my post in your other thread about this deck, but here goes anyway:

=====[ OVERALL CONCEPT ]==========

I'm a little fuzzy (pun intended) on this.

Is the deck intended for the "Furry" crowd? (As I understand it, "Furries" are folks who enjoy dressing up in animal costumes (some enjoy it sexually, others just for general fun).
If so, I would suggest that they need to be more distinct one (suit) from another. For example, To my eye, the Jack from one suit would look just as "at home" in the other three suits/courts as in his own.
Whether through clothing or something a part of the "person" (fur color, ear shape, muzzle shape, etc), the Jack, Queen and King of a given suit should be obviously a set (without looking at the pip).

==========[ SUITS ]==========

Are the four suits (hearts, clubs, diamonds, spades) supposed to represent four different species/types of animals? (wolves, leopards, etc)?

==========[ COURTS ]==========

Is the deck intended for the "Furry" crowd? (As I understand it, "Furries" are folks who enjoy dressing up in animal costumes (some enjoy it sexually, others just for general fun).
If so, I would suggest that they need to be more distinct one (suit) from another. For example, To my eye, the Jack from one suit would look just as "at home" in the other three suits/courts as in his own.
Whether through clothing or something a part of the "person" (fur color, ear shape, muzzle shape, etc), the Jack, Queen and King of a given suit should be obviously a set (without looking at the pip).

In your video, you refer to cards as being "one-sided" or "two-sided".
The proper terms are "single-ended" and "double-ended".

I did not notice, were the Jacks of Hearts and Spades and the King of Diamonds "one-eyed" (seen in profile)?

==========[ ACES ]==========

I did not like the Aces looking like court cards. Perhaps they could show the "coat of arms" of the suit's species? Or show a non-anthropomorphised animal of that species?

==========[ PIPS ]==========

The "paw" pips are nice, but again, too similar to each other. Perhaps something such as claws to more specifically identify them as the "pawprint" of that suit's "species"?

I did not care much for the number cards.

==========[ INDICES ]==========

Seemed too large and placed too low to be of practical use during game play.

==========[ BACK ]==========

Other than the "paw-pips", did not seem to be related to the deck's theme.
-Marcel Marceau