Input on my upcoming deck Rouge

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Orioncap
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Input on my upcoming deck Rouge

Unread post by Orioncap »

Hi everyone!
Im new to UC and love to see a community where people like to get so involved and give real feedback.
I have been designing my new deck ROUGE for a while now and i was hoping for some feedback from you guys.
Your likes, dislikes and suggestions would be appreciated.

ace ace.png
ace ace.png (766.21 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
6 7.png
6 7.png (766.21 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
Jack queen diamonds.png
Jack queen diamonds.png (766.21 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
King spades Queen clubs.png
King spades Queen clubs.png (766.21 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: Input on my upcoming deck Rouge

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Welcome to UC, Orion! I tossed you into the "Deck Artist" group - enjoy!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Orioncap
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Thanks Mike,

Here are a few more images :
2 clubs close.png
2 clubs close.png (766.21 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
frontsm.png
Backsm.png
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Interesting design. I find it hard to read the corner indexes. The way you have them look pushed back and the black area pop forward is unique and give it nice depth.

Back design is interesting too. Not sure if edge diamonds look that good. I'd like to see it without them if possible.
Move on, nothing to see here.
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

I think the font choice for the indexes contributes to the difficulty reading. Making them solid color could help address this, but maybe that wouldn't fit as nicely artistically I think something needs to be dont with regards to the font though.

The grey in the faces of the court cards is also a bit hard to read, maybe swapping the grey face with the white hair in terms of color to make them more legible?

Really like the custom pips and the black popped out area certainly adds an element of something new to the overall design. Would second the idea of seeing backs without diamonds as the diamonds clash with the more organic shapes of the rest of the back design and this causes the eye to be distracted from the rest of the back by the diamonds really drawing attention.
Orioncap
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Hey guys,
I have canceled the project for now whilst i update the deck design a little.
I would really appreciate feedback on the upcoming design changes.

Many thanks in advance
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

Orioncap wrote:I would really appreciate feedback on the upcoming design changes.
FWIW, the reason I didn't back is because the courts looked too traditional. That's not a quick or easy thing to fix, for sure, but it was the dealbreaker for me. It just seems like a waste - and somewhat anticlimactic - to put all time and effort into customizing the pips and then stop at incorporating the... pip pattern linework(?) into what's otherwise traditional court lineart.

What I think works about your design as it stands so far:
  • The custom pip layouts. I really, really like these.
  • The corner indices. Like RichK said, the illusion of depth is great. I think there's room for improvement by fiddling with the particular shade of grey behind them, and maybe the font, but overall they're strong.
  • The linework you've developed for the pips. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the splattish shape behind the AoS - maybe adjust the greys here as well, to keep the outer ring of the mandala from getting lost in the background? - and I always think enlarged aces are worth doing for every suit, but again, what you have here is strong as is.
  • The back design. Since you're taking the opportunity to rework things it might be worth revisiting those diamonds - and I think you might be better served by a single central mandala than by two of them - but I think it's just a matter of playing around with what you already have, rather than going back to the drawing board.
Wizard_of_Os
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 100

Re: Input on my upcoming deck Rouge (wap)

Unread post by Wizard_of_Os »

I’m pretty new here to UC, so my opinion may not carry as much weight as some. However, I’ll +1 on the enlarged Aces for all 4 suits for sure. I had backed the first go solely due to the depth on the corners and the line work throughout the design. I definitely liked the fan-rendering of the lighter corners on the KS campaign. I saw this deck as a really nice addition to my poker decks I like to rotate as opposed to one I’d put on the shelf for display. If you were to somehow further customize the courts, I think it could be a real showstopper. But I’ll leave those ideas to the artists here! Good luck, and I’m looking forward to see where it goes from here!