Bharata Tarot Playing Cards

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Bharata Tarot Playing Cards

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

Need your thoughts, inputs and suggestions.

As some of you are aware that Bharata Tarot deck didn't succeed on Kickstarter and I'm planning to relaunch it along with a Tarot Expansion Pack covering the rest of Major Arcana + 4 Page cards from Minor Arcana. This makes the number of cards in expansion pack as 22. Now, when I think about the whole project, the following questions come to my mind so I thought of asking here as well.

1. Should I go wth the following sets or make the expansion deck solely of Major Arcana i.e. 52 + 4 Major Arcana cards in one poker sized deck & 22 cards in another which will be the Expansion Pack? Or, should I do a poker sized deck alone taking out the 4 cards & doing a separate tarot expansion pack for tarot lovers?

2. Tarot decks size is generally 70 mm X 120 mm while poker size is 63 X 88 mm. The original choice is to go with the latter. If I chose former, do you think of any reservations?

Here is the original Kickstarter project by the way: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... =user_menu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Sunish
vedus

Re: Bharata Tarot Playing Cards

Unread post by vedus »

I backed hoping the tarot decks would unlock in the original campaign. I also backed the tarot decks when they were launched. I still really like the idea. I am a pass if the deck isn't poker sized though. The only decks I have that aren't poker sized in my collection are a pair of Arrco bridge decks, and those were a gift. I'm not terribly interested in adding more.

That said, I'm sure there are people out there that would absolutely not buy a tarot deck that was poker sized. You're gonna get conflicting expectations across the board.
RichK
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I say go 52+4 with expansion set as add-on.

Chris O. had poker sized tarot deck and it was backed like crazy. I'd do poker so people can still use base set as playing cards.

I'm sure if you gild it and have box for full set all GPCC-ed embossed and foiled it'd do well. But that's my opinion.
Move on, nothing to see here.
JuFiN
Player: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

Having a separate expansion set of cards in order to make it a full tarot deck seems really weird to me.

Just make a full tarot, tarot sized deck! The poker size poker deck already exists and looks great, this deck however is a Tarot deck and I think that should be embraced. Not some weird reprint of the first deck in blue with optional expansion.

If it has to be poker size in order to fund then so be it, but please just make it one full Tarot deck.

How would an expansion even work? would the box have empty space without the expansion or would they be stored separately, just seems very strange to me.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

JuFiN wrote:Having a separate expansion set of cards in order to make it a full tarot deck seems really weird to me.
I bet a pure tarot deck won't sell nearly as well as a poker/hybrid deck...
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

MagikFingerz wrote:
JuFiN wrote:Having a separate expansion set of cards in order to make it a full tarot deck seems really weird to me.
I bet a pure tarot deck won't sell nearly as well as a poker/hybrid deck...

Even I've this feeling that a pure tarot won't sell nearly as well as poker/hybrid deck. Chris O's Arcana proved it but one example doesn't make a good sample and to Jufin's question, expansion packs have been done before (Arcana deck too had one expansion pack). The cards will be in a separate tuckbox.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

JuFiN wrote:
How would an expansion even work? would the box have empty space without the expansion or would they be stored separately, just seems very strange to me.
Got your question JuFiN. Box won't have empty space but if someone wants to make a whole tarot Major Arcana set, he can take out the 4 cards out of the other deck and replace it with jokers and gaffe cards (4 in number) from the other set (expansion which will have 22 tarot cards + 2 jokers + 2 Gaffe). Hope it answers your query.
willroya
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by willroya »

I tend to agree with JuFin. I think a hybrid poker / oracle works better and tarot is better as a stand alone.
http://www.PlayingCardDecks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://stores.ebay.com/Playing-Card-Decks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/playingcarddecks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.instagram.com/playingcarddecks_com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/playingcarddecks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Work in progress. Here you go with "The Sun" & "The Magician".
1-The-Sun (2).jpg
1-The-Magician.jpg
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Nice looking!
Move on, nothing to see here.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Was looking to work with USPC this time but seems unlikely. Seems like they can't do a deck with lesser or more no. of cards than 56 and it needs to be poker sized only.
We can only print a 56 card sheet in our facility. We could outsource to our vendor in China but the minimum is 5,000 decks and takes about 4 months production/shipping time.
"
Bruno
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Bruno »

Vendor.
In China.
Nice.
O, I beg of you your comprehensions,
yet laugh at your contempts ....
my only competition is with myselves.

But Lèse-majesté, especially >Normans, natch.

Is jarnstill the Ars of the Hors Nebulous ?
Neigh .... the Effluxor of the Omniverse ??
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Thanks everyone for your inputs on this as well as the original Bharata deck.

Bharata Major Arcana tarot deck is live on Kickstarter now. Come check it out, share & support...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... jor-arcana" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;