Star vs. the Forces of Evil Deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Malthus1

Star vs. the Forces of Evil Deck

Unread post by Malthus1 »

I'm new to this site - I just discovered it from a link on Reddit.

I'm in the midst of drawing a custom deck of cards, purely for fun - I have no idea if I'll ever complete it, or if I do, whether I'll ever actually print any - and if I do, I certainly have no intention of selling them! Most likely, I'd give them to my friends, as presents.

Looking around the site, I'm awed at the artistry and crafting ability on display.

Just for fun, I'd like to show the few cards I've done - here for example is the King of Hearts:

https://malthuswibble.tumblr.com/post/1 ... ted_post=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is just a picture taken with my phone of a drawing, made using black and metallic gold ink. The deck is based on the show "Star vs. the Forces of Evil" and features the character Marco wearing two different outfits (a "prince" outfit and a "day of the dead" outfit) cutting a portal into another dimension with 'dimensional scissors'.

I have also done the Ace, Queen, Jack and ten, all of Hearts. Enough for a royal flush ... :D Very slowly, I intend to do at least the rest of the face cards.

Any input is of course welcome - keep in mind I'm a total amateur and not very computer literate.
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Re: Star vs. the Forces of Evil Deck

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Wow. That's pretty original. Oh and yeah, that design is pretty goddamn amazing.

Complete this, this is a keeper.

Umm yeah... I love this.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

awesome! I would back that in an instant.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

I really like your art style and definitely think you have the start of a very interesting deck! Don't keep this between friends and family, unless of course you make me a friend! :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Dude. There are some playing card creators on this board who have dealt with licensing intellectual property (Jackson Robinson did this for his Sherlock Holmes decks; Albino Dragon did this for Alien and The Princess Bride, among others; there are more.) I recommend you search them out and ask them about the experience. I realize that Disney (they hold the rights to SvtFoE, right?) is a righteous mess to work with, but who knows? Maybe you can get permission to actually create a project out of this and bring your work out into the world.

I, for one, would happily pick up some of your work (whether it's SvtFoE or some other project.) You have talent.

Oh, and given your Icon piece... have you stumbled upon the "Icons" deck by Lotrek here on the UC? I think you'll really get a kick out of it. (I similarly love Lotrek's work.)

Cheers, and welcome aboard!
This space intentionally left blank.
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

Looks great, alas I was expecting Ash vs Evil Dead...
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
Malthus1

Wow - thanks you folks for all the kind encouragement!

I'm working on the Queen of Spades right now - but I work very, very slowly. Each card takes me days to make. So completion is a long time in the future.

I admit, I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of braving the legal dragons at Disney over use of their IP.

While obviously a distant notion, I do wonder about the practical mechanics of transforming a drawing into a printed card. I suppose most folks work on computer illustrations these days - what are the practical steps for making a printed card out of a physical drawing? Any links or tips gratefully appreciated.

I will definitely check out Lotrek's "Icon" deck. I'm a sucker for that style of art. Though I only drew this one for my elderly mother in law, who is quite religious!

As a side note, I'm delighted to have discovered this forum. I could look at card designs all day.
Malthus1

I checked out Lotrek's work - my gods, it is humbling to see such art. I love it.
Malthus1

I finished another card - the Queen of Spades (based on Eclipsa, Queen of Darkness).

https://malthuswibble.tumblr.com/post/1 ... s-queen-of" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one is very asymmetric, as I wanted to show Eclipsa in the two poses she is shown in the show: with her umbrella, on the arm of her monster lover; and embedded in a crystal. Not sure if doing this really works out, but it was fun to try. Can you tell she's supposed to be inside a crystal in the lower portrait?

(I should probably explain that the whole idea for a card deck came from the fact that some of these characters have card symbols on their cheeks in the show: Eclipsa has spades, Star herself has hearts, her mother has diamonds and the headmistress of the reform school has clubs).
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I can see the crystal since you pointed it out and that there are other crystals around her. Nice job!
Move on, nothing to see here.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

Looking great! I love the artwork and how you're interpreting the courts in a 'double' image, really cool. Actually don't know the show, but I like what you're doing here :)
This might be a start, if you're considering seeking licensing permission: http://www.disneystudiolicensing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as transferring painted artwork to digital, there are several ways:

Ideally, use a good scanner (capturing each artwork at at least 600dpi) having the artwork scanned absolutely flat, means you don't have to skew and adjust any warping caused by the camera ... If you don't have a scanner, but have access to a camera that takes good photos, you can get good results with a bit of preparation: tripod, decent lighting (you'll need to be extra careful to avoid reflection on the gold paint)...

Once you have good quality, high resolution images of each artwork, you can use image editing software (Photoshop, Illustrator, Gimp, Corel...) to adjust and prepare each image for printing. I'd suggest downloading a template (from say MakePlayingCards) based on the printed size - as this will help you keep each card the same size.

Looking forward to seeing more :)
Malthus1

NineLives wrote:Looking great! I love the artwork and how you're interpreting the courts in a 'double' image, really cool. Actually don't know the show, but I like what you're doing here :)
This might be a start, if you're considering seeking licensing permission: http://www.disneystudiolicensing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

As far as transferring painted artwork to digital, there are several ways:

Ideally, use a good scanner (capturing each artwork at at least 600dpi) having the artwork scanned absolutely flat, means you don't have to skew and adjust any warping caused by the camera ... If you don't have a scanner, but have access to a camera that takes good photos, you can get good results with a bit of preparation: tripod, decent lighting (you'll need to be extra careful to avoid reflection on the gold paint)...

Once you have good quality, high resolution images of each artwork, you can use image editing software (Photoshop, Illustrator, Gimp, Corel...) to adjust and prepare each image for printing. I'd suggest downloading a template (from say MakePlayingCards) based on the printed size - as this will help you keep each card the same size.

Looking forward to seeing more :)
Thanks for the help and advice! I will try that. It will be interesting to see what Disney has to say ...

I did scan the cards, and it can be done - though the gold color turns a shade of brownish-orange. I assume that, when it comes time to print, it can be printed in metallic gold.

here's a low-quality Imgur scan of some of the cards (plus some other artwork) I did just as a test:

http://imgur.com/G97wyB7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fortunately, I've tried to keep each card exactly the same size.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Great - the scans look nice and clean so you're well on your way :)
and yes, depending on how you want the metallic gold applied (foil or ink) there are ways to do that.
Malthus1

I finished another card - the King of Spades.

https://malthuswibble.tumblr.com/post/1 ... tfoe-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one is very asymmetric in design: in the show, the main figure (the lizard wearing a suit) is a Machiavellian manipulator whose spirit possesses the little guy at the bottom (who at one point floats up in the air), through the medium of the magic wand (in the little guy's hand). A main plot point revolves around the lizard man's finger, which was blasted off his hand; his skeletal hand forms the wand.

This is why I used the hand as the backing for the spade (in flesh, and skeletal).

The reason why it is so asymmetric: I wanted to use the shadow of the lizard as the 'space' in which the other figure floats.
Malthus1

Here's another card - the Jack of Spades:

https://malthuswibble.tumblr.com/post/1 ... eries-jack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The character is Buff Frog - a monster, but a very sympathetic one! He's a fierce fighter - and a loving father to his tadpoles.
Malthus1

Queen of Diamonds (Moon the Undaunted) - a much more traditional design (this one shows the young queen - having cast "her darkest spell" with dismaying results - and her older self)

https://malthuswibble.tumblr.com/post/1 ... s-queen-of" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pablo

Unread post by pablo »

Keep'em comin'! I don't know the show either, but i love the designs you are putting out!

Enviado desde mi Aquaris_M4.5 mediante Tapatalk
Malthus1

pablo wrote:Keep'em comin'! I don't know the show either, but i love the designs you are putting out!

Enviado desde mi Aquaris_M4.5 mediante Tapatalk
Thanks for the kind encouragement!

It's a great show, for anyone interested in Western children's animation that can also be watched with enjoyment by adults - part of the "golden age" of such animation, that includes shows like Gravity Falls, Avatar the Last Airbender, and Steven Universe (though I haven't watched that one).

It is something of a 'deconstructive parody' of the magical princess genre (meaning, its appearances are intentionally deceiving, and much of its humor comes from the contrast between its light and fluffy appearance and the darker realities of its plot - so much so, it is hard to believe it is a Disney property!)

Right now, I'm working on the King of Diamonds. I assume your more professional card designers working with computer design programs work a hell of a lot faster! It takes me a long, long time to do a single card by hand.
Malthus1

One more: the King of Diamonds.

https://malthuswibble.tumblr.com/post/1 ... es-king-of" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one represents two sides to this character: the calm monarch-consort (husband and father) seated in majesty and holding the sceptre; and the raging barbarian warrior-king, with the club.
Malthus1

Had some unexpected free time over the weekend, so I was able to complete another card.

The Jack of Diamonds:

https://malthuswibble.tumblr.com/post/1 ... es-jack-of" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, a very asymmetric design, this time using the flames to transition between the two sides. Let me know what you folks think.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

These continue to amaze. If there's any way to bring these to market, I want to own some of your art. :-)

Don't sweat the idea that it takes you a little while to design each card. Your skill at what you do is fantastic, and you're actually faster than many. This is great work, and I'm truly admiring what you do.
This space intentionally left blank.
Malthus1

rousselle wrote:These continue to amaze. If there's any way to bring these to market, I want to own some of your art. :-)

Don't sweat the idea that it takes you a little while to design each card. Your skill at what you do is fantastic, and you're actually faster than many. This is great work, and I'm truly admiring what you do.
The kind encouragement you folks are giving me is extremely appreciated!

I've decided I will try approaching Disney for licensing permission. Since I am in no particular hurry, as completing the full deck will take a long time ... might as well.
Malthus1

A new card: the Joker.

https://malthuswibble.tumblr.com/post/1 ... rds-series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is based on a character in the show who is an omnipotent master of fate and magic - but who is also a trickster.
Malthus1

It's been a while - finally, a new card: the Ace of Diamonds.

https://malthuswibble.tumblr.com/post/1 ... tfoe-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malthus1

The Queen of Clubs.

This one may not make much sense outside the context of the show ... basically, the lady is a villain known as "Ms. Heinous", who runs a Victorian-style 'boarding school from Hell' (for princesses). This place is somewhat like the prison in A Clockwork Orange.

The figure at the bottom is "flying Princess Ponyhead", who is, essentially, a disembodied unicorn head (and something of a sociopath - a kid's version of Alex from A Clockwork Orange). Ms Heinous has a magic mirror which shows the past misdeeds of her 'students', and she is looking with disapproval at an 'unreformed' Princess Ponyhead. She is clutching Princess Ponyhead by her braided mane - after her "treatment" (which has basically brainwashed her into Stepford-Smiling obedience).

Ms. Heinous is the Queen of Clubs, because she has club cheek marks (which she normally hides). Princess Ponyhead normally has a heart neck mark and star-shaped pupils; her brainwashed form loses both (I gave her club shaped highlights instead).

NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

I love your Queen of Clubs! :) you can almost hear the evil laugh in the background ...
Malthus1

NineLives wrote:I love your Queen of Clubs! :) you can almost hear the evil laugh in the background ...
Thanks!

I just checked out your links at the bottom of your post - wow! I'm blown away.

The artistry on this site is both inspiring and intimidating.
Malthus1

I know it has been a while - I've been busy with stuff, but I'm still going.

The latest is the King of Clubs.

The first image is of a Lizard-like assassin hired by the Queen of Clubs, who uses a chainsaw to hack between dimensions (and victims).

The second image is of the creepy assistant or companion to the Queen of Clubs, who is admiring a doll based on the male protagonist (in drag) before going to bed.

Reversed:

Malthus1

The Jack of Clubs:

rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin