Star vs. the Forces of Evil Deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Re: Star vs. the Forces of Evil Deck

Unread post by rousselle »

These continue to amaze. If there's any way to bring these to market, I want to own some of your art. :-)

Don't sweat the idea that it takes you a little while to design each card. Your skill at what you do is fantastic, and you're actually faster than many. This is great work, and I'm truly admiring what you do.
This space intentionally left blank.
Malthus1

Unread post by Malthus1 »

rousselle wrote:These continue to amaze. If there's any way to bring these to market, I want to own some of your art. :-)

Don't sweat the idea that it takes you a little while to design each card. Your skill at what you do is fantastic, and you're actually faster than many. This is great work, and I'm truly admiring what you do.
The kind encouragement you folks are giving me is extremely appreciated!

I've decided I will try approaching Disney for licensing permission. Since I am in no particular hurry, as completing the full deck will take a long time ... might as well.
Malthus1

A new card: the Joker.

https://malthuswibble.tumblr.com/post/1 ... rds-series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is based on a character in the show who is an omnipotent master of fate and magic - but who is also a trickster.
Malthus1

It's been a while - finally, a new card: the Ace of Diamonds.

https://malthuswibble.tumblr.com/post/1 ... tfoe-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malthus1

The Queen of Clubs.

This one may not make much sense outside the context of the show ... basically, the lady is a villain known as "Ms. Heinous", who runs a Victorian-style 'boarding school from Hell' (for princesses). This place is somewhat like the prison in A Clockwork Orange.

The figure at the bottom is "flying Princess Ponyhead", who is, essentially, a disembodied unicorn head (and something of a sociopath - a kid's version of Alex from A Clockwork Orange). Ms Heinous has a magic mirror which shows the past misdeeds of her 'students', and she is looking with disapproval at an 'unreformed' Princess Ponyhead. She is clutching Princess Ponyhead by her braided mane - after her "treatment" (which has basically brainwashed her into Stepford-Smiling obedience).

Ms. Heinous is the Queen of Clubs, because she has club cheek marks (which she normally hides). Princess Ponyhead normally has a heart neck mark and star-shaped pupils; her brainwashed form loses both (I gave her club shaped highlights instead).

NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

I love your Queen of Clubs! :) you can almost hear the evil laugh in the background ...
Malthus1

NineLives wrote:I love your Queen of Clubs! :) you can almost hear the evil laugh in the background ...
Thanks!

I just checked out your links at the bottom of your post - wow! I'm blown away.

The artistry on this site is both inspiring and intimidating.
Malthus1

I know it has been a while - I've been busy with stuff, but I'm still going.

The latest is the King of Clubs.

The first image is of a Lizard-like assassin hired by the Queen of Clubs, who uses a chainsaw to hack between dimensions (and victims).

The second image is of the creepy assistant or companion to the Queen of Clubs, who is admiring a doll based on the male protagonist (in drag) before going to bed.

Reversed:

Malthus1

The Jack of Clubs:

rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Your work continues to be amazing.
This space intentionally left blank.
Malthus1

rousselle wrote:Your work continues to be amazing.
Wow, thanks!

I get a lot of inspiration seeing the awesome artwork made by the professionals on this site.

I'll keep plugging away - I've almost completed the face cards! Still not entirely sure what I'll do on the back.
Malthus1

I decided to attempt to tackle the back design. Never done such a thing before ... decided to go with a (more or less) symmetrical pattern.

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

That's a great back design, impressive considering you've never done one before!

The only thing that somewhat bothers me is the asymmetry of the gold in the stars, but that type of design element is hard to have work both symmetrically and mirrored. Not sure how it would look, but you could fill in the second "top" one, or just fill in every other space.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Malthus1

MagikFingerz wrote:That's a great back design, impressive considering you've never done one before!

The only thing that somewhat bothers me is the asymmetry of the gold in the stars, but that type of design element is hard to have work both symmetrically and mirrored. Not sure how it would look, but you could fill in the second "top" one, or just fill in every other space.
Thanks!

I may try the quick fix of filling in the second "top" facet, just to see if it is eye-pleasing.

Overall, I had to go with mirrored rather than fully left-right symmetrical, because of the little fetal unicorns ... one had to be up and the other down. Though I could I suppose have worked in a symmetric design there (say, a narwhal - also from the show) and then make the symbols evenly symmetric.
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

I know this will never be a deck, but I still really, really want it to be.
Malthus1

Did a repeating design for the Ace of Clubs (the skull-faced character is 'the space-time guy', who presides over multiple realities ... )

Malthus1

This is just some art explorations for a possible box design.

The idea would be to have two characters playing cards (using, of course, this set!) - one clearly winning, the other losing. The title would go between them.

Another idea, if this is too busy, would be to have the characters on the back and front.

In either event, I'm still plugging away at the number cards, and will be for a while! I want to make the number cards fun, without losing the distinction between number cards and face cards ... I'll have an example up soon.

shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Your work continues to amaze! :drool: I really wish that this does become a deck and I have an opportunity to purchase it...better yet, an uncut! :ugthink:

Regardless, keep up the great work and keep posting! :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Malthus1

shermjack wrote:Your work continues to amaze! :drool: I really wish that this does become a deck and I have an opportunity to purchase it...better yet, an uncut! :ugthink:

Regardless, keep up the great work and keep posting! :ugdance:
Thanks! I really appreciate the encouragement! :D

I really do hope at some point to learn the black arts of actually physically producing decks of cards, and try it out.

I have no real idea of how to go about transforming physical drawings into actual printed cards - I assume it involves scanning them then converting them into computer files in the correct format - something I suppose I ought to have known before I started. But then, when I started I had no idea of going so far with this project.
Malthus1

And here's the Nine of Hearts.

The idea, again, is to try to make the number cards fun with characters, but still totally visually distinct from the face cards.

I've seen some novelty decks which just have a character on each card, number or face. I don't find that as visually appealing.

vedus

Unread post by vedus »

I love seeing the progress on this.

I hate that I'll never have this deck in my hands.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I just found this thread and am looking at your work. I like it. I think it is different enough to make a go at it. If nothing else, when you get it finished, get some estimates and make a try to fund through Kickstarter. A lot worse decks get funded there. You might think about some more customized pips you can repeat throughout. However, you have a very distinctive style, so I don't want you to mess that up. I am going to have to look up this show. When I first read the header, I was thinking Star Wars and was a bit confused until I read more. :)
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Malthus1

Thanks for the kind words! When the time comes, I will definitely want to research how to turn the artwork into an actual deck.

Here's another number card (their school teacher, before and after Star accidentally turned her into a troll):

Malthus1

Bradius wrote:I just found this thread and am looking at your work. I like it. I think it is different enough to make a go at it. If nothing else, when you get it finished, get some estimates and make a try to fund through Kickstarter. A lot worse decks get funded there. You might think about some more customized pips you can repeat throughout. However, you have a very distinctive style, so I don't want you to mess that up. I am going to have to look up this show. When I first read the header, I was thinking Star Wars and was a bit confused until I read more. :)
Thanks!

The show is sort of like as if someone crossed Dr. Suess with Game of Thrones. Only, the Game of Thrones aspect isn't immediately apparent--the show looks like harmless silliness until the main plot kicks in ... so that when the heavy stuff goes down, it is all the more shocking.
Malthus1

Another study for some potential box art.

chicken_ql

Unread post by chicken_ql »

Corners are a bit too round... Is that going to stay? Love the art style btw
Malthus1

I completely forgot I used to post my cards here! I found the number cards a dead end in the style I was using ... gave it up for a while ... then returned to it.
Malthus1

I've been doing lots of new cards using a totally different number card style - a semi-transformation type deck.

Example: nine of clubs:

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Really glad you're back! These were a joy to see shown here one by one :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Malthus1

MagikFingerz wrote:Really glad you're back! These were a joy to see shown here one by one :)
Thanks! I got discouraged because I wasn't having any fun drawing the number cards - it took me a while to realize this was because I was using a format I didn't really enjoy. I scrapped that and went with a totally different format, and now I'm nearly done the whole deck! It was more work, as each number card = a whole new art work, but it was worth it because drawing them was a lot more fun.

I'll post them here when I get a chance - have to run now.