What about Booklets ?

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Kardeck
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

What about Booklets ?

Unread post by Kardeck »

Hello Everyone,

I want to add a booklet (20 pages) with all court faces with a short bio/explanation to my Kickstarter campaign.

I saw other projects that use the A6 format (105 × 148 millimeters or 4.13 × 5.83 inches) but it seems quuiet small for me... Do you think it's big enough for a booklet ?

How much are you willing to pay to add this kind of booklet when you pledge one deck ? Or do you think it's better to add it for FREE to stretch goal ?
The other thing is, I'm afraid that the booklet will be damaged by the mail service, especially with the "International shipping" one...

Can you please help me about this quuestion, I want to know what do you think and what can be the best for the community, and how other projects proceed with the booklets.

Thank You,
Olivier
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: What about Booklets ?

Unread post by guru »

Kardeck wrote:Hello Everyone,

I want to add a booklet (20 pages) with all court faces with a short bio/explanation to my Kickstarter campaign.

I saw other projects that use the A6 format (105 × 148 millimeters or 4.13 × 5.83 inches) but it seems quuiet small for me... Do you think it's big enough for a booklet ?

How much are you willing to pay to add this kind of booklet when you pledge one deck ? Or do you think it's better to add it for FREE to stretch goal ?
The other thing is, I'm afraid that the booklet will be damaged by the mail service, especially with the "International shipping" one...

Can you please help me about this quuestion, I want to know what do you think and what can be the best for the community, and how other projects proceed with the booklets.

Thank You,
Olivier
Olivier - I've done booklets twice, one (6-page) with Divine Art & the other with Bharata Tarot Major Arcana (26-page booklet). In the latter case, it was a secret gift for backers which was not revealed during the campaign (& announced through a secret Santa update on Dec 25th while it was being printed), and in the case with the former, I made it available to the backers even though we were short of the stretch goal by around AUD $1000. With the tarot deck, apart from the usual information pertaining to the illustrations, name of the backers supporting the Kickstarter also featured in the booklet. Something for you to think through.

In both cases, I did a poker size version of booklet and included it in the tuckbox itself. Through that design, I was able to resolve the complexity during shipping n handling but in return, the tuckbox got bulky.

I've seen other creators charging for the booklets as an addon or included through stretch goals, so your mileage may vary.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Sunish