Magic Review: Visions by Matthew Wright & Vanishing Inc.

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Magic Review: Visions by Matthew Wright & Vanishing Inc.

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

Title: Visions
Creator: Matthew Wright
Publisher: Marvelous FX
MSRP: $ 30
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 1hour

Type of effect: Two prediciton card effect

Manufacturer's Write Up: Visions is an incredibly powerful and simple double-prediction effect, suitable for walk-around and parlour. It can very easily be adapted into a full stage routine.

An envelope is placed in full view. A spectator is asked to imagine they are drawing a picture in their mind... it is a free choice and exists only in their mind. Next, a deck of cards is shown and all the cards are shown to be different. The spectator chooses a card. The envelope is opened and inside... paper-clipped to your business card is an exact match of their selected card. The spectator is suitably impressed, but they are soon astounded -- the card is turned over and their thought-of picture is shown to be drawn on the back of the card!

Visions is a real-world, working piece of magic which has been performed hundreds of times by creator and two-time FISM award winner, Matthew Wright. It can be played as a light-hearted piece of mental magic or a much more serious mentalism piece. Includes an hour of detailed instructions, plus handling for bonus routines with peek wallets and an in-depth look at the psychology of drawing duplications.

Whether you are new to magic or a fully seasoned working pro, Visions is an effect that you will be performing right away with devastating results. Highly recommended!

How accurate is the ad copy? It does say “no memory work” but that’s only if you are set to rely on a crib sheet during performance. Of course the more you memorize, the better. There is of course, “brain work” and that doesn’t always qualify as “self working” – meaning – you will need to “think on your feet” should the spectator chose a drawing or image that doesn’t quite “fit” your prediction.

What's in the box? Complete custom deck in Mandolin back – custom tuck with built in crib, marked cards and crafting supplies

Key points: This is a self-working, self-contained, instantly resettable pocket miracle. There are no difficult sleights, no pocket writing, no stooging, no memory work, and it is 100% reliable. Everything you need fits inside a deck of cards plus the envelope (which comes supplied, but is optional in performance).

How are the production values: Filmed with a steady cam in a very dark room. Mostly it’s Mathew talking to the camera, but you do get a few table shots. Interestingly, Matthew does a “magic cam live” shot of a live performance where the camera is mounted to his chest. There are some instances where the microphone is recorded at different levels and your sound goes LOUD or quiet when the scene cuts.

Is it well made: Everything you receive is of the highest caliber. There is some criticism that the “markings” on the cards are hard to read. For those of you who wear strong glasses, or have trouble reading small print, I would suggest substituting for a Bicycle branded marked deck that YOU can read. OR using your own marking system – the card backs are barely examined during performance, so making your own markings should be no issue.

Is it well taught: Matthew goes over all the workings, including the psychology behind what images people will more than likely draw. The add copy says “no difficult sleights” and Matthew does teach this with a simple card force and a palm to pocket, but it is possible to do the effect without a load, but it’s not as strong. But for such a simple effect, that could probably be taught in a matter of minutes, Matthew does go over every nuance including performing this as “comedy” as he does – or serious. Matthew will also cover multiple outs so that the effect is 100% sure.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" It’s chiefly a deck of cards and an envelope. Matthew will teach you how to perform this without a table in a walk around setting, but I would argue that it’s better with a table. Of course the gimmicked aspect of the deck means that it can not be handed out or used for any other effects.

Does it "play big?" I think mentalism done well is always the strongest magic you can do and Matthew is an exceptional creator.

Difficulty / Skill level required: Matthew teaches this for all skill levels, but the effect is of course stronger when you have more experience and more skill.

How much arts and crafts are involved? You will need to build your deck, you can use the supplies required OR use your own “rough and smooth” method.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?)

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

_____ Very Satisfied
__X___ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

My thoughts I was a little disappointed that it didn’t work for my eyesight, but the trick is strong, I will be working on “tweaking it” for my personality and performance level.

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: ​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irzw_AzfKec
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/