Magic Review: The Gold Standard by David Regal

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Magic Review: The Gold Standard by David Regal

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

Title: The Gold Standard
Creator: David Regal
Publisher: self published
MSRP: $ 56
Skill Level: intermediate
DVD Run time: 27 minutes

Type of effect: Signed card appearing to a tie tack

Manufacturer's Write Up: What is The Gold Standard? It is an 18k gold-plated tie tack or lapel pin that does something special with great economy: a card is returned to the deck, and an instant later it is seen impaled on your tie tack. You can pull on the card, and spin it on the post. Best of all, when you remove the card from the tie tack, there is a hole in the card!

The card can be signed. The effect can be performed at any time in your act, with a deck in play. And it doesn't have to be a playing card. The Gold Standard can just as easily cause a signed bill to become impaled, or a business card - imagine handing out your card only to discover it pierced by your tie tack. When you remove the card, there's a hole running through it. You can then give that potential customer your business information with a permanent reminder of the effect he just witnessed.

How accurate is the ad copy? this is exactly what happens

What's in the box? Gold standard gimmick and the DVD

Key points: This is an elegant quality prop, custom designed from the ground up, with attention to detail. If you don’t wear a tie – this could be a gold pin on a lapel.

How are the production values: Mr. Regal is standing at a card table in front of a red curtain. He does appear to have a live camera person, but maybe not a lapel mic. His voice sounds a little echoey. At one time he says that they we are shooting in his “living room” and in fact he’s probably in a live theatre (like the Magic Castle) and the ambient noise could be an adjacent theatre. Mr. Regal does a few “pick up” shots outside – and again, you hear ambient noise of birds and wind in the camera’s mic.

Is it well made: Looks like brass, but is made from stainless steel. Treated well, it should last you a lifetime.

Is it well taught: Mr. Regal performs this for a live audience in a parlor setting. He goes over multiple phases and endings for the card to tie routine. Mr. Regal also gives full credit for inspiration as well as credits to previous talent who have created similar effects.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" Wears easily on your tie and the gimmick can easily be hidden in a finger palm.

Does it "play big?" I’d say any effect that David Regal uses in his own performance – is good enough for you and me.

Difficulty / Skill level required: A well versed magician with an intermediate level of card skill will have no trouble with this routine.

How much arts and crafts are involved? None – everything is built for you.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Absolutely, and I think this would work great for corporate and restaurant magic – where many magicians typically we a tie.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

__X__ Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

My thoughts David Regal is magic royalty and pretty much anything he puts his name on is going to be “gold.”

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw_15pNtPQc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/