Devour by Sans Minds

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Devour by Sans Minds

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

​Title: Devour
Creator: SansMinds
MSRP: $ 30
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 57 minutes

Type of effect: Vanishing deck effect

Manufacturer's Write Up: One of the most important aspects of magic is establishing a connection with the spectator. Magic should be for all age groups, and we are proud to present an effect that can connect with everyone.

Devour is a fun and interactive card revelation effect that can connect with all age groups. Imagine that the box of playing cards comes alive, and destroys all the cards in the box except for the signed card! The selection is a completely free choice, and the presentation is 100% customizable to cater to your personal style. Check out the trailer to see how this great effect can enable you to connect with YOUR audience.

*Gimmick supplies included
*Customize to any playing card
*Customize the design to fit your style

TV rights not included with purchase. Please contact SansMinds for inquiries regarding TV.

How accurate is the ad copy? Not every gimmick supply is included, in fact MOST are not. This is a lot of DIY.

What’s in the box? DVD and a few of the items you’ll need to make this gimmick, you will need 4 deck boxes and an entire arts and crafts kit.

What you still need: 4 card boxes, super glue, dble sided tape, scissors, ruler, extra cards and an xacto knife. In fact of the 14 things you need to build this – they give you 4.

How are the production values? Sans Minds always makes great DVDs – everything is well mic’d and well shot.

Is it well made: This is a total DIY project.

Is it well taught: The first 8 minutes is the brief walk-thru about how to perform the effect. The next 23 minutes is all the build of the gimmick. The DIY part is all taught through pantomime and on screen text.
Personally, I don’t know why they begin with a deconstructed box – because they just walk you through putting it back together – why? Just start with a box already put together. Nobody needs extra steps.

Also the “action” of the angry face transformation – happens slower in real time and needs some misdirection so that your audience doesn’t see what is happening.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" It is the size of a deck of cards, UNLESS you want an inspectable gimmick – then you need to carry an additional card case.

Does it "play big?" It gets a laugh, but it doesn’t strike me as “magic” per se. I don’t see how people can “suspend belief” that your box came to life and “ate” a deck of cards. I suppose it’s also possible to eliminate the humor part with the “angry face” and maybe use “mind power” to destroy all the cards? Or magic karate? I don’t know.

Difficulty / Skill level required: this is very easy to do – borderline self working.

How much arts and crafts are involved? A LOT !!!

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Absolutely, just watch your angles (I've seen people flash on youtube)

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

_____ Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
___X__ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

My thoughts – super expensive for what comes with it and the amount of building you have to do yourself.

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: ​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXztV7gFYaA
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/