The Dream Act by Shin Lim

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

The Dream Act by Shin Lim

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

Title: Dream Act
Creator: Shin Lim
Publisher: Murphy's Magic
MSRP: $ 200
Skill Level: Intermediate to advanced
DVD Run time: 2 hours and 43 minutes

Type of effect: Award winning magic routine

Manufacturer's Write Up:

In the 2015 FISM World Championships of Magic in Rimini Italy, Shin Lim was crowned the FISM World Champion of Close Up Card Magic. 2 weeks after Shin was featured on Pen & Tellers Fool Us, he immediately became a worldwide phenomenon, his YouTube video being viewed millions of times in just under a week. This was all because of his Dream Act.

The Dream Act is much more than a mere "trick". The Dream Act transcends the act of trying to fool a spectator, into becoming an artistic expression.

In this 3.5 hour long tutorial, Shin Lim reveals every aspect of the Dream Act. Not only does he teach every effect, method and action but goes much deeper by delving into the concepts of atmosphere, timing, theory, music, and movements in creating a silent synchronized (non-speaking) routine.

To date this is Shin Lim's most prized performance piece, a creation that took over six years to develop, and it can now be yours to learn.

Learn the Magic Behind the Magic...
This product is limited and will never be reprinted due to keeping this routine exclusive to only a few magicians.

How accurate is the ad copy?

It can be performed live. The version sold is basically the Fool Us version with a couple upgrades, which aren't very useful in a live performance, but he does give alternates. There are more gimmicks to be bought or made than I had anticipated. And I, for one, can imagine that some parts that could be learned and performed without doing the whole act.

If you have a reliable classic force, you can perform the routine much more easily than Shin teaches it, but you can never miss or you'll have a disaster on your hands.

It's definitely not a routine that you watch a couple times and then you can do it. There is a lot of content, and much of it is specific to the routine. Knowing its secrets, I actually like the routine better, now. There is even some misdirection in it that is specifically designed to mess with the heads of magicians.

What's in the box? All gimmicks are included (including: custom smoke gimmicks for card + smoke to mouth) Assembly is required. DVD has over 3.5 hours of in-depth teaching. Also included are the USB charger + 90mah automated battery + 1 atomizer strength (0mg) PLUS A BONUS: Download Video of "SSS" the 2015 Edition

How are the production values: I've owned a few Shin Lim products and this is hands down my favorite video and I wish more creators would make videos like this, there is so much I liked about this - from having a fellow creator give his comments has Shin Lin taught the routine, to ending with Shin Lim give director's commentary about his own "Fool Us" routine.

Is it well made: You get some quality products with this, however, I sort of wished you got just a little bit "more" for your money. I would have included an entire deck with box in this that consisted of half double facers and half blank cards (but that's just me)

Is it well taught: Very well taught, Shin goes over this over and over until you get it. He covers more bases than an aggressive short stop. In fact, I loved this video so much because it really teaches how to craft a routine, not to mention how to incorporate effects together into a working cohesive story.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): Now, I feel that this whole act is worthy of study of anyone who really wants to learn on how to build an act and put it together, learn some new moves and routining to add to your work, and in some cases, even people that want to take on the task of learning the act in its entirety, I feel that the asking price is right, since you are getting a lot of value for lots of advice.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" Uh no, in fact to do this routine in it's entirety you need to be loaded for bear. You need to be strapped in. You need pretty much everything you saw Shin do in his act. The Dream Act is like a Darcy Oake dove act - hit after hit after hit.

Does it "play big?" This act plays so big Shin Lim won the close up category at FISM!

Difficulty / Skill level required: I'd say intermediate to advanced, but I wouldn't want to scare off any beginning magicians who love Shin Lim - I say, if you want to learn this - buy it.

How much arts and crafts are involved? There is more arts and crafts here than a week's worth of vacation bible school. (especially if you decide to build the SSS gimmick)

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) With tons of practice, the skill and panache of Shin Lim, a table, a close up mat, a few other things and the express written consent from the creator - then Yes... it can be done.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

X Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

This was a roller coast of emotion for me, before it came, I couldn't wait to see it. When I opened it, I was disappointed. When I watched the video all the way through I was in love. Thank you Shin Lim!

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMPLIVXTIpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/