Cipher Deck from James Anthony & Mark Elsdon

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Cipher Deck from James Anthony & Mark Elsdon

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

Creator: James Anthony & Aaron Calvert
Publisher: Mark Elsdon
MSRP: $ 35
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 1 hour 41 minutes (youtube video) & a 36 page pdf

Type of effect: number deck for counting and math tricks

Manufacturer's Write Up:

The Cipher Deck is a utility device like no other... It's simplicity is astonishing and yet delivers such powerful reactions that everyone whether magicians or mentalists should own one and master the routines.

There is truly something for everyone with this deck.

How accurate is the ad copy? It doesn't flat out lie, but it does feel a little 'over hyped.'

What's in the box? cards and card box

PDF with 8 ROUTINES BY MARK ELSDON
3 OR MORE BONUS ROUTINES
100 MINUTES OF VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS
GREAT ROUTINES
QUALITY MARKED NUMBER DECK
SECRET AREA TO SHARE EVERYTHING CIPHER

Key points: The marking system is SUPER EASY and you will be picking it up in a FEW MINUTES!

How are the production values: There are live performances on this video (which is always a plus and becoming more and more rare with magic videos IMO) the explanations are back at a table with a single stationary camera.

Is it well made: The deck and tuck are incredibly well made, it looks and feels just like a child's numbers deck

Is it well taught: It is well taught, both James and Aaron are generous and patient teachers, here is what you will learn.

Phoenix Page - book test / number force, doesn't use the markings
Calculator Sensation - number force, doesn't use markings (plus needs an iphone)
Perfect Number Prediction - cold reading trick using the marking system
Out of this Integer - Out of this world style effect - that doesn't use markings
Bonus Memory Routine - deck stack and markings
Unamed trick - that doesn't even use the cards

There are three additional tricks on the pdf, that are not taught on the DVD

More than a total number prediction - which involves a deck stack
book page word - which is a number force
call me - which is a straight forward card force

As noted above the calculator sensation effect works better for iphone users. I could not make it work with my andoird. And the phoenix page requires a book for a book test - this is the primary trick taught on the video, over half the video focuses on this one effect.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): To be flat out honest, I thought I was getting a reader back deck so I could perform mentalism effects, but the majority of the suggested effects are "number" and "calculation" effects that either involve a stack or a force. I was majorly disappointed that the reader element didn't play MORE into the effects that were taught.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" As you can read above, depending on what you are performing will determine how "flat" you pack.

Does it "play big?" The live performers on the video certainly seemed to indicate that these are stunner effects, but as a jaded, jilted, skeptical magician (aren't we all?) I wasn't overly blown away.

Difficulty / Skill level required: These tricks are fairly simple, only a few standard card sleights are needed.

How much arts and crafts are involved? zero

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Absolutely this deck is a real word worker

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

_____Very Satisfied
_____Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
X Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

I love the deck and I want to find my own way of using it (and I will) I just was not impressed with the effects that were presented

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://youtu.be/oVrSN4M_l5w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/