Gone Deck by Shin Lim & Murphys Magic - Review

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Gone Deck by Shin Lim & Murphys Magic - Review

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

Creator: Shin Lim
Publisher: Murphy's Magic
MSRP: $ 30
Skill Level: All
DVD Run time: 1 hour 1 minute

Type of effect: disappearing tuck case

Manufacturer's Write Up:

A visual masterpiece designed by Shin Lim and Tom Elderfield is used as a closer to Shin's Encore Act performed on the Illusionists Show from Broadway. What more is there to say?

Gone Deck can both be used as an APPEARING and VANISHING card box, making this a very versatile prop to anyone's repertoire.

Every package comes with a premade template so that you can apply any deck of your choosing and use it in the beginning, end, or even middle of your routine. And because it is simply one card thin and works as one unit with no separate parts to worry about, Gone Deck will not get in the way of your performances.

Gone deck comes with an instructional tutorial on how to perform different vanishes, appearances, and even color changes. In addition, Shin Lim teaches you how to not only take care of your gimmick, but also how to create new ones of your own.

Witness this incredible appearing and vanishing card box 5 years in the making

How accurate is the ad copy? Yes, it will work with any playing card, however, it's best to use a complex design. The gimmick has visible tells that need to be hidden within the back design.

What's in the box? Hard shelled box, inside is the download code to the video along with the arts and crafts pieces so that you can make your own gimmick.

Key points: on the video there are instructions for more than a simple tuck case vanish. Half way through the video Shin will also show you how to modify the gimmick (build a new one) to make a "rebox" gimmick where the individual cards BECOME a tuck box.

There is a portion where Shin shows you how to execute a Franky Morales card flourish "Windchill" at the same time as you perform the deck vanish. (Shin even says in the video how "difficult" the effect is and several times in his performance he is even unable to pull it off).

Another idea he shows you is a "Transposition" effect where seemingly the tuck case and the deck of cards switch hands - one for the other. (DISCLAIMER: this will only work with a tuck case that reproduces the entire card back as a part of it's artwork - modern day Bicycle cards off the shelf - no longer have this design)

Shin also reveals a few other ideas where the gone deck becomes coins or a tic-tac box. Without saying how it's done, I will at least just add that these are probably stage or parlor effects at best and will not work for the strolling magician.

The last 13 minutes of the video are for a "double color change" where there are two magical changes. Shin in his own words says, "It is incredibly difficult to make, I struggle to make it. Every time I have to make it... I cringe at the idea."

How are the production values: You have two main views - the over the table shot of Shin working at his table constructing gimmicks and the straight on shot of Shin performing. And after having watched the video - it "feels" like the majority of the video was gimmick constriction.

Lastly, there seemed to be some recording issues. The performance shots, have absolutely no sound. And then thirty minutes in, the video audibly experiences an audio issue where the sound goes out, and Shin's voice is heard "dubbed" over the video to fill in what was missed.

Is it well made: You make it, and it will last longer the better you make it. This isn't a gimmick to cut corners with.

Is it well taught: The majority of this video is gimmick construction, for either the actual gone deck, or the subsequent effects. Of the hour long video, Shin spends five minutes explaining how to perform with and use the gimmick. There are no "live performances" nor any advice how to perform this live or for a close up audience.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I love Shin's creativity and nobody would argue that he is a master performer and a master magician. I can freely admit that I am no where near his caliber, so having said that amd having received a few of his effects, I feel like his tricks are for a particular group of people (of which I am not one of them).

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" The gimmick construction is the size and thickness of two cards stacked.

Does it "play big?" Absolutely! This trick is beautiful and visually stunning.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) There are a few other effects on here, I'd say the majority of them - probably are not for mere mortals like you and me, unless you perform on stage or are an internet sensation. The actual "basic" gone deck vanish will work in the "real world." But as the tricks become more and more "gimmick heavy" their practicality.... vanishes.

How original is this idea? This is the part where I tell you that Unboxing by Nicholas Lawrence is very....very....very.... similar.

Overall score: 8/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7VHR12qA4w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/