Risen and Skycap

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
walrus

Risen and Skycap

Unread post by walrus »

As is evident this topic does not get a lot of action but I will still pose the following question. I will be making a magic purchase soon, two things I am thinking of getting are Skycap, a new effect put out by Paul Harris, they are talking about it at the magic cafe and it seems to be getting good reviews. I was also looking at Risen, a trick backed by Chris Angel. They hate Chris at the magiccafe so they usually do not review his products. Haunted2.0 also looks good, may be better than risen. If anyone actually reads this and has any ideas let me know. Thanks.
michaelveatch

Re: Risen and Skycap

Unread post by michaelveatch »

out of the bunch i would go for skycap.......go check out Target by Valdemar Gestur ive tweaked it so it works just like haunted and ive done something similar to risen with the gimmick (i dont know if you would be able to let the spectator hold it though) but its a great versitile gimmick and its super cheap and you can buy it anywhere
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

i can say skycap looks great and is not hard to perform.
there is no switch of the bottle,cap or anything else.nothing to get rid off.
now comes the big fat BUT how often will i get the chance to perform this one?
is this my style of magic ?(from my point of view its rather casual magic then performed in a tuxedo/suite)

it is def. miracle class in terms of clean handling also the effect is strong stuff no doubt.
you don´t use "props" to perform magic with...more everyday objects which is always a plus in my book.
i would not borrow the bottle and shov a straw into a strangers drink....unless you offer to buy a new one afterwards.
so it´s up to you if you like the effect and can see yourself performing it - i say go for it.
its a practical gimmick and handled with care will last you long time :)
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Ah, cool, thanks for the feedback guys. Good to see some fellow magicians. I will certainly check out Target.
michaelveatch

we need to have more threads going on in here
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Yes, it would be good. A review and rating of effects would serve us well. I guess this forum is dominated mainly by collectors.
michaelveatch

lets get this started
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Cool I will be making an order soon. I am not that good at those long detailed reviews but I can give it a basic run down. How about you, any good acquisitions as of late?
michaelveatch

I just got safety by chris mayhew and the advocate by daniel madison......I haven't watched safety yet but if you dont have the advocate id suggest picking it up...it blew me away when I saw the trailer and I thought it would involve some crazy slights but its actually really easy to do and it can be used for just about anything that has to do with a deck of cards.....as soon as I learn safety ill post a review........ive actually bought a bunch of tricks lately i have alot of practicing to do
michaelveatch

or I should say it can be used for any trick that involves a freely named card that you want to reveal or a freely named card to an impossible location
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

I got Smiley when it was released. Very good trick. People have issues with the gimmicks, they are rather sensitive but I do get great reactions with the trick.
michaelveatch

^^^^^^ WTF
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

It's called SPAM... :)

I reported it and the other instances... should be cleaned up shortly once an admin comes online.
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

I absolutely LOVE my smiley gimmick, gets really good reactions. I haven't got risen nor have I read reviews on it. Haunted 2.0 is also a favourite of mine :) couple months ago I bought the paul harris TA set, and I have to say (although a hefty price tag) some of the stuff on this set is pretty mind blowing. Personall, I think it's worth the price :) Twilight angels is a fav of mine, and I seem to carry my lubors lens and TA pen everywhere with me now :) but there's quite a few on this set which I love :) think i'll do a review on it :)
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Yes, please do a review. I just put in an order at magictrickstore.com. Finally will be getting Risen, Haunted2.0 and Skycap. Should be here today. :D
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Hey :D received skycap. Very interesting. Unique gimmick. Have not done it in public yet but it has a few appication (different things you can use.) Cap is examinable but one does need to be careful (make sure gimmick is properly locked) One problem is it is a quick hit. I can not really see it being a routine by itself. Starting out with nothing to palm is a big plus. When palming does come into to play it is rather is to take care of. This probably is not for everyone but it is a fun little trick.
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

I have been practicing Risen for the past few days. Although nothing new it is a good rising card effect. I find spectators really enjoy a rising card. The method is not new but it does allow you to do a few unique things. I do have to warn that the gimmick is fragile. One already broke on me. Still, if you like doing the rising card it is worth checking out.