The Souvenir by Henri White - Magic Review

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

The Souvenir by Henri White - Magic Review

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

Creator: Henri White
Publisher: world magic shop
MSRP: $ 32.50
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 20 min

Type of effect: card to impossible location / penetration effect

Manufacturer's Write Up:

A chosen card is signed by the spectator. The center of the card is torn out. The very same card is then visibly linked onto the stem of a borrowed wine glass. The linked card and the glass can then be fully examined. No Duplicates - Simple - Elegant - Truly Baffling

How accurate is the ad copy? The ad copy is fine, but it should be mentioned that the card is "forced" not "chosen."

What's in the box? A DVD

Key points: there is no switching involved, the card your spectator signs is the one that they work with through the entire effect.

How are the production values: clean non distracting environment, nice overhead shots for performances and gimmick construction.

Is it well made: On the one hand this is a torn and restored trick, so you will need to prepare your own gimmicks. Anyone who has practice building other TnRs will feel right at home here.

Is it well taught: Henri covers the basics of the effect, although at 20 minutes I would have liked some live performances, especially a live "performer's view" shot. I also would have loved more tips, alternate handlings and perhaps even an interview about the effect (or some credits?) Anything to bulk up this very pricey DVD.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I liked that this takes the "card to impossible location" effect and the TnR and marries them together. I didn't like how "dirty" this effect is. There is a lot of heat on the performer in the most crucial moments and you really need to "down play" what is actually taking place.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" All you need is a single card and a long stemmed wine glass.

Does it "play big?" Anyone who has performed restaurant magic will enjoy this routine as it is very creative.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) As the name implies it is suggested that the card be given out as a keepsake. However, short of encouraging your patrons to steal wine glasses, this probably isn't a great idea. But I suppose if the restaurant sells souvenir glasses in a gift shop, you could purchase one and offer to sell it back to them if they want a keepsake from their visit. Then if they say "no" you could rip off the card and go on to the next table. (ha ha)

It'd also be great to do at a dinner party that you are invited to. But at the end of the day this is a TnR and so yes - there are "tears" involved. Could the spectator find the secret under a close examination? Only if they were dead set on doing so. Most I think would be grateful to have such a unique gift and they'd let it go at that.

There is also the idea that most restaurants are dimly lit and so you could offer the card to the spectator to examine at the end of your routine - your spectator will find nothing and marvel at your skills - you then sadly tell them that you've had too many stolen wine glasses and so at the request of the restaurant you have to "destroy" the card.

You then rip it (right where you need to) off the glass and then the spectator still gets to keep the souvenir, it costs you nothing, it costs the restaurant nothing and there is less chance the spectator will discover the secret.

Overall score: 8/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jri1P6G2ZyE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/