The Thick Card Project by Liam Montier

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

The Thick Card Project by Liam Montier

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

Creator: Liam Montier
Publisher: Big Blind Media
MSRP: $ 30
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: over 90 minutes

Type of effect: card control library

Manufacturer's Write Up:

Thick Card - a double thick playing card used as a locator card, a peek device, an automatic double lift facilitator, a break-less control gaff and a sleight free forcing machine!

The thick card is one of the most overlooked and underused gaffs in magic. Simple and inexpensive to make, yet massively versatile, this innocuous creation is a powerful replacement for sleight of hand. With one dropped into your working deck you will be armed and ready to perform controls, forces, multiple lifts and peeks all without EVER HOLDING A BREAK!

The Thick Card is like the swizz army knife of gaffs - it can do so much, yet is all but invisible in the deck. You can have your thick card in play all day long. The deck can be handled by the spectator. It's undetectable from every angle, and it's 100% locatable with touch alone. (No more panicked triple checking that you cut at the right place!).

This single gaff card will elevate your routines to a stratospheric level - now you can perform forces, controls, peeks and multiple lifts with the cleanest possible handling. As you never need to hold a break, you are free to put the deck down. You can shuffle, cut and mix the deck AND STILL BE IN COMPLETE CONTROL OF THE CARDS!

How accurate is the ad copy? No deception.

What's in the box? One DVD and a thick card gimmick

Key points: entry level magic - there is something here for everyone

How are the production values: This is a Big Blind Media production so it's very similar to some of the other DVDs we've reviewed. But overall top notch.

Is it well made: both the DVD and gimmick are well made

Is it well taught: Liam Montier is very thorough and leaves no stone unturned. He offers several tips and ideas and is very clear about all of his explanations.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I liked that this project sought to be the quintessential voice for this gimmick. Liam does an excellent job to argue in favor for this device and I think he does a great job convincing his audience that your magic could be improved with this.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" your thick card should slide seamlessly into your card case.

Does it "play big?" I don't know that any of these effects will play any bigger than a card trick without a thick card. The gimmick doesn't have any impact on your audience, only on your ability to perform.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Absolutely, this is entry level gimmickry designed to enhance your card controls and forces.

How original is this idea? this is very ancient technology, but certainly one that can be resurrected for a modern audience.

Overall score: 8/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4onpHMEZZE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/