Technical Toolbox by Stephen Hobbs & Vanishing Inc.

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Technical Toolbox by Stephen Hobbs & Vanishing Inc.

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

Creator: Stephen Hobbs
Publisher: Vanishing Inc
MSRP: $ 50
Skill Level: Intermediate / advanced
DVD Run time: 170 videos

Type of effect: Card Trick Library

Manufacturer's Write Up:

Beginning in January of 2014, Stephen Hobbs - author of Modus Operandi: The Magic of Jack Carpenter, Gene Maze and the Art of Bottom Dealing, and The Essential Sol Stone- commenced a project that was called both crazy and impossible: an online web 'zine to be released every week for fifty-two weeks devoted to his brand of powerful and practical card magic.

Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin of Vanishing Inc. were so impressed with the Technical Toolbox that they have arranged to release the material as an elegantly-produced DVD set and booklet-with bonus material-in one package.

Stephen Hobbs' Technical Toolbox collects all fifty-two weeks of the original web site, which included more than 170 videos (6 plus hours of material) describing over 55 routines and 85 sleights and techniques. All of Hobbs' original introductions and meticulous credits are included in the accompanying booklet. In addition, separate manuscripts for certain effects are included as downloadable PDF attachments.

Stephen Hobbs' Technical Toolbox will expand your repertoire of card sleights and routines. You will be inspired to develop your own "toolbox" of card techniques by the impossible ribbon-spread switch-out, the elegant spring simple shift, the super-practical subterranean addition, advanced work on obtaining and maintaining breaks, control grip technique (it will revolutionize your handling small packet counts), a detailed discussion of the Hobzinzer cull (more information than many DVD's devoted to this sleight alone), B.U.R.P. (Basic Universal Reverse Placement), the SHEE control, the interlaced-block transfer technique, Hobbs' playing card mnemonic system, the rotary replacement and change, F.I.A.T. (Flexible Insertion and Addition Technique), the incredible routine "The Odds Against Me", and much, much more.

There is so much material in the Technical Toolbox that it is impossible to describe it all; but if you enjoy card magic, we guarantee you will get your money's worth!

Be advised that Stephen Hobbs' Technical Toolbox was a web blog, not an attempt to make a movie. The videos are all simple close-ups of Hobbs' hands with the primary emphasis on teaching intermediate and advanced card technique.

Every penny of profit that Vanishing Inc. and Stephen Hobbs make from this project will go to support Vanishing Inc.'s young magicians charity, sending kids to magic camp and supporting the development of a close-up theater for young performers in South Africa.

​What's in the box? 7 DVDs and a softbound book

How are the production values: it's filmed like a vlog or webzine with one over head steady shot and only the performer's hands in frame.

Is it well taught: this is a master class in original card magic. Stephen Hobbs is incredible and this set is destined to be an instant classic. Anyone who wants to seriously improve their game should get this set.

Overall score: 10/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66BXmvpHVDw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/