Phantom by Peter Eggink - Magic Review

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Phantom by Peter Eggink - Magic Review

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

Creator: Peter Eggink
Publisher: Empty Hand Productions
MSRP: $35
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 35 minutes

Type of effect: Invisible Trick Realizer

Manufacturer's Write Up:

ALWAYS be ready to Astonish...

"Phantom" is a specially engendered utility gimmick that you'll carry with you everywhere you go. This new secret weapon allows you to perform killer effects such as the "Haunted Deck" and "Rising Card" like NEVER before. Use ANY deck, ANY time at ANY place, WITHOUT gimmicked cards, Sleight of hand, etc. Perform authentic miracles on the spot using BORROWED items! You are going to LOVE this gimmick!

Other effects include: Catch a "Ghost" in a BORROWED bottle and watch the bottle EERILY and MAGICALLY unscrew itself from the cap! Then, Hand the ENTIRE thing out for examination.

The gimmick is invisible to the spectator's eye and is easy & totally FUN to perform!

Key Points:
NO Invisible Thread!
NO Loops!
NO Elastics!
NO Skill!
NO Magnets!
All borrowed items!
Easy to do with ZERO sleight of hand!
ALWAYS ready to go!
Instant reset!
Extremely well made gimmick!

Comes complete with the special "Phantom" gimmick along with an HD streaming instructional video, showcasing different routines, ideas and performance tips

How accurate is the ad copy? the add copy can say what it says, because it can't' say what it is - I can't even show you the effect, or hint at what it's "sister utility device" is because THAT would give it away. I just think that if the add copy were more HONEST - then the RIGHT people could purchase this, rather than be vague and have people "guess" as to if they could use this or not.

In the video Peter says that these tricks are done "without card gimmicks or invisible thread." I just don't think that's being fair. It's a half truth. Of course there is a gimmick. Of course there is a "hidden element" (but we just can't use the word "invisible" or "thread") Not to mention that all the effects in the video are shot from a tight angle as to exclude the "clearly seen" gimmick in the actual performance. (The Genie in the Bottle performance is shot from underneath!)

What's in the box? The gimmick and a link to a streaming VIMEO instruction

How are the production values: Top notch, all shot in HD, great angles and

Is it well made: Very well made, with care could last you a very long time.

Is it well taught: very meticulous teaching, I think Peter does everything he can to
ensure you learn how to do all of the effects presented in the video. On the video you learn 4 effects, The Rising Card, the Haunted Deck, Genie in a Bottle (unscrewing bottlecap) and a "Phantom Vanish" which is Peter's take on a retention vanish with a coin.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" The utility can be easily carried on your person and will "match" similar objects standard to a magician.

Does it "play big?" These "haunted" style effects get very big reactions. This is a very creative utility and I can easily see more of these "spirit move" tricks done with it. As Peter points out in his teaching, the "utility" even though it's visible in all of your performances can go by unseen by the spectator so long as it has a purpose. However, the fact that it IS SEEN - can draw heat to it, especially if you do two consecutive effects with it.

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) I think it can be a very practical idea, I'd be curious how it works in different lighting conditions - that said I think that for specifically rising card and the haunted deck - LOOPS are a more practical and more "invisible" utility. Of the 4 effects - the Genie in a bottle trick is the only effect exclusive to this gimmick.

How original is this idea? Both the haunted deck and the rising card can be performed with LOOPS and both can be performed with a borrowed deck with no advanced set up. A retention vanish can be done with only sleight of hand, and no complicated gimmick is needed.

Overall score: 8/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSnRimNtaLM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/