Mnemonica Miracles DVD set -- Quality?

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
dleiber
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 150

Mnemonica Miracles DVD set -- Quality?

Unread post by dleiber »

Hi. Has anyone here seen Juan Tamariz' DVD set "Mnemonica Miracles"?? What are your thoughts about the quality? I'm only asking because the set isn't cheap ($150+) and even in the promo video for it, the fact that the recordings were made over ten years ago is mentioned and a comment is made about the video equipment. Still, the reviews at Penguin are glowing, but I was hoping to hear some comments here.

Thanks. Also, if you have the DVDs AND the book ("Mnemonica"), I'd love to hear your thoughts on how well they complement each other, are too repetitive, or whatever you think.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: Mnemonica Miracles DVD set -- Quality?

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

I'm not familiar with the DVD, so I will let someone else comment, but the Tamariz Stack is still popular, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think David Blaine uses it even on his recent decks (AKA "mnemonic" stack).
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
dleiber

Unread post by dleiber »

Mike Ratledge wrote:I'm not familiar with the DVD, so I will let someone else comment, but the Tamariz Stack is still popular, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think David Blaine uses it even on his recent decks (AKA "mnemonic" stack).
You're right. I've gotten a couple of decks in the Mnemonica stack order ("Ask Alexander, I think, most recently). I love this stack and am working my way through his book on it. It does seem to be one of the most popular out there.
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

As far as i know, all gatorbacks are in mnemonica order too.
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

jsantafe wrote:As far as i know, all gatorbacks are in mnemonica order too.
I thought so, but I wasn't certain if it was all of them.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

It's funny because there seems to be an order of all cards in mnemonica, but fot he "aesthetics sake", Gatorbacks start at the ace of spades and continues the order from there, instead of, I think, the two of clubs that usually is the first card. I am really curious how an uncut from a deck like that would look like. But probably I am taking over this thread. Appologies to dleiber!
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

jsantafe wrote:It's funny because there seems to be an order of all cards in mnemonica, but fot he "aesthetics sake", Gatorbacks start at the ace of spades and continues the order from there, instead of, I think, the two of clubs that usually is the first card. I am really curious how an uncut from a deck like that would look like. But probably I am taking over this thread. Appologies to dleiber!
Probably strange, really. I have seen people rearrange decks solely for the sake of the order they are displayed on. The uncut. I think Alexander Chin did Seasons part 2 (Verano & Inferbo) like that.

Basically the courts are in a square around the center, with the jokers and aces, and the rest kind-of spiral outwards. (and I am doing my share to hijack & 's thread, also)...
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

hikeeba

Unread post by hikeeba »

The quality is in the same ballpark as the Penguin video (little less contrast, less bright, hollow/tinny sound but certainly watchable).
Should note that in the first few minutes he recommends the book outirght (although he says the video is still "good"). The last volume is on memorizing. He does reference the book at points. Mostly see trick in show, explain trick.

I've been trying to learn the stack. I'll point out that The Code by Andy Nyman is just a marked Tamariz Stack (you can get the replacement deck from Penguin). So, that could be a good trainer. I took an older Bicycle deck, put it in the stack order and Sharpie'd the position on the back. I did 1-10, then integrated groups of 10. So, if I shuffle and 25 comes up, I should know 5 of Diamonds (and vice-versa). Really need to know position/card inside-out before any of this is useful. I'd suggest after memorizing the stack and reading the book, only then would I plunk down the $150.

(Just to note - the stack starts at the 4 of Clubs).
dleiber

Unread post by dleiber »

hikeeba wrote:The quality is in the same ballpark as the Penguin video (little less contrast, less bright, hollow/tinny sound but certainly watchable).
Should note that in the first few minutes he recommends the book outirght (although he says the video is still "good"). The last volume is on memorizing. He does reference the book at points. Mostly see trick in show, explain trick.

I've been trying to learn the stack. I'll point out that The Code by Andy Nyman is just a marked Tamariz Stack (you can get the replacement deck from Penguin). So, that could be a good trainer. I took an older Bicycle deck, put it in the stack order and Sharpie'd the position on the back. I did 1-10, then integrated groups of 10. So, if I shuffle and 25 comes up, I should know 5 of Diamonds (and vice-versa). Really need to know position/card inside-out before any of this is useful. I'd suggest after memorizing the stack and reading the book, only then would I plunk down the $150.

(Just to note - the stack starts at the 4 of Clubs).
Thanks, useful info. I did something similar to learn the stack, but put the position numbers on the faces so I could more visually associate a position to the card value. Then I studied it whenever I could, watching TV, eating meals, etc. I also found a free memory website that had it already (memorise.com), though it wasn't as graphic as I'd have liked.

I found an inexpensive ($2.99) app for the Kindle Fire and it's absolutely wonderful. It tests all variations, i.e., what card is at a given number, what position is a given card, what is the next card, and what is the previous card. I use it often and since it's a game, I try to improve my score each time (rounds are timed). It's fun.

I also have decks of cards lying around in several places in Mnemonica order. Often when I pass by a deck, I'll do a cut and name the next card. It reinforces it all for me. As you said, until I know this inside-out, most of the rest isn't useful yet.