Out Of Sight - Out Of Your Mind by Gary Jones and Magic Tao

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Out Of Sight - Out Of Your Mind by Gary Jones and Magic Tao

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

Creator: Gary Jones
Publisher: Magic Tao
MSRP: $35
Skill Level: beginner/intermediate
DVD Run time: 21 minutes

Type of effect:

Gary has created a practically self-working variation on Dai Vernon's "Out of Sight, Out of Mind"

Manufacturer's Write Up:

The Magician takes a deck of cards and fans them in front of a spectator. They are asked to merely look at, and think of ANY card whilst the magician turns away. Once they have a card in mind, the magician closes the deck and turns back around. With NO questions asked, the Magician deals down to the thought of card. No guesswork, Forces, Peeks, No Breaks held, the perfect effect for the working professional!

How accurate is the ad copy?

Fairly accurate, but I take issue with the question, "And with no questions asked..." because even if you watch the advertisement, you hear Gary ask the spectator "what was your card?" Even in the reveal part of the video where Gary says he'll do the effect with no questions.. he asks a question. So there is always a little fishing involved, but it's very subtle.

What's in the box?

DVD and a trick deck in Bicycle stock

Key points:

Great piece of mental magic that you can perform with one or two spectators.

Is it well made:

Trick deck is a Bicycle stock deck and the DVD is everything you'd expect from Magic Tao.

Is it well taught:

DVD includes a live performance, and several studio performances, plus you are given presentations for 2 spectators or 1.Very well taught, Gary makes it very easy for you to perform with only a minimal amount of things to remember.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked):

I liked that this seems like a mental miracle. Not much dialogue is exchanged between the performer and the spectator and with someone who is fluent in false cuts and card handling, this effect has the potential to be a real stunner.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?"

Just a deck of cards, nothing else

How practical is this in the real world? Does it "play big?"

Mentalism and cards always has the potential to play big and I think with the right amount of set up, this is could be a monster effect.

How original is this idea?

Admittedly this is a borrowed effect from Dai Vernon's "Out of Sight, out of Mind" and it's married together with a "classic" trick deck that is not used so much in Magic anymore. I think a lot of Magicians have "forgotten" about this deck because audiences have gotten smarter and its secret is not very well "hidden," but Gary has a great new idea to work around it and bring this classic deck back to life.

Overall score: 9/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cyWxdMCkhw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/