Learning Card Tricks

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
SethDonMagic

Learning Card Tricks

Unread post by SethDonMagic »

Hey guys, I've just rather recently gotten into street-style card magic, but have quickly exhausted most of YouTube's easy tricks. If you happen to know any good books (or YouTube channels with a large amount of tutorials) please let me know.

Thanks,
SETH
Afrank8

Re: Learning Card Tricks

Unread post by Afrank8 »

Starter books would have to be stuff like expert at the card table, expert card technique and royal road to card magic. For YouTube channels 52kards or disturb reality, mismag and there's a bunch of others connected to them.
JSELS
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 22

Unread post by JSELS »

Other than that, you can also follow users on Instagram who post videos of card tricks regularly and learn from observation (only follow those who you think you can learn from).
Chozo Tull

Unread post by Chozo Tull »

Royal Road is best for beginners. Expert at the card table will crush you. I'm not the one saying it - I heard Aaron Fisher say these very words once.

Royal Road is great but might not be suited to your street magic tastes, although it has lots of good and classic effects. For these I would recommend more modern and flashier dvds like what's being put out by Ellusionist, Theory11, or Blue Crown, but some of this stuff is pretty challenging.
Jay Sankey's card stuff is good as well although maybe all over the place.
PatDivine

Unread post by PatDivine »

Honestly, I'd check your local library for card magic related books. Of course you won't find any big names or anything... but I still look at those beginner/kid book for refreshment. I've found some great gems in those books! :D
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

I have two book suggestions, and I know they both might feel boring but trust me on this one.

Royal Road to Card Magic, or Card College 1.

And if you, like me, are more of a visual learner, there are DVD-sets of both these that you can get as well, but I'd still recommend you get the books as there is so much value in them. This way instead of spending a lot of money on DVDs at the beginner stage, you can build up your skill levels and spend that money when you can choose from a much larger variety if you still want DVDs afterwards. They'll still be around later on, and the better a foundation you lay, the more easily you'll learn future stuff.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.