Intro tricks in performance

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Leadeye
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 0

Intro tricks in performance

Unread post by Leadeye »

Hi All,

I'm thinking about creating a 20-30 minute at-the-table card performance. My skill level is probably above above beginner, but below intermediate. As a point-of-reference, I can do a push-through riffle shuffle, but only to a casual observer. My purpose for this is mostly for the exercise of doing so, but also so to perform/practice in front of friends/family.

As with all good routines, I'm hoping to build in "unbelievability". I think that I would probably like to end on a basic triumph effect.

What I'm really looking for, I guess, are some good "warm-up" tricks. What should my first two or three effects be? My instinct is that I should have a 4-ace effect somewhere early on, though I don't currently know any ace tricks.

I'd love some suggestions!

Cheers,
Leadeye
Kruser
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 75

Re: Intro tricks in performance

Unread post by Kruser »

Hi Leadeye!

Like you, I'm trying to put together a sequence of effects that includes some variety and an appropriate 'build-up'. Some 'unbelievability' would be good too! I'm aiming for a much shorter routine, maybe 10 or 15 minutes max ... 30 minutes is a LOOONG card performance - I'm not good enough to pull that off yet!

The approach I'm working with is to begin with a few simple and direct discoveries (ie. single card stuff), then finish with some good 'four ace' style tricks. I'm still thinking about a 'hammer' trick to close with that might involve a gaff of some kind. I've never used a gaff - have you?

Good to see others posting in the magic forums!

Kruser
Leadeye

Unread post by Leadeye »

What do you mean by a "hammer" trick? Do you just mean something with a really surprising reveal?

I've never used single-card gaffs, though I have made myself an invisible deck. A well presented invisible deck trick is hard to beat, IMHO.

Have you looked into the gaff system by Ellusionist. It's probably not what you're after, but might be worth a look.

Leadeye
Kruser
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 75

Unread post by Kruser »

By a 'hammer' I just mean a killer effect to end on ... one that leaves them wanting more, maybe like a torn / restored card!

Haven't tried the Ellusionist gaffs ... their stuff always seems too pricey! You reminded me that I have an invisible deck someone gave me. I never actually looked to see how it works! Ha ha!

Anyway, in terms of warm-up tricks, I like to start with tricks that are fast and short. I save the 'story' tricks for later.

How good is your double lift ? There are great quick effects that are not much more than a control and a double lift...

Stay in touch!
Leadeye

Unread post by Leadeye »

I have a decent double. Not award winning, but fairly solid.

I guess I could throw something like a time-machine in pretty early.

Have a look on youtube for invisible deck performances. See if it's the kind of thing that you can see yourself doing. It's pretty simple, once you learn how it works. Torn / Restored tricks are pretty impressive. I should probably learn one :P (I did start learning a basic TNR, once upon a time).

So far I'm thinking:

- Time machine
- Some kind of two card selection (lose then find)
- 4 Ace trick of some sort
- Biddle trick
- Ambitious card (though I'm not a huge fan of ACRs)
- Two card monte
- Triumph

If I had to guess, I'd say that would be a 10-15 minute performance. The list is based off tricks that I already know (roughly), or tricks that I think I should learn (i.e. 4 aces and two card selection). I'm not overly attached to any of them, though I'd like to keep in some form of Triumph effect.
Afrank8

Unread post by Afrank8 »

Considered any sandwich effects? 2 helper cards etc. How are you learning the tricks? Youtube? Books? Something like Expert card technique has a heap of nice little routines or just single tricks.
Leadeye

Unread post by Leadeye »

Afrank8 wrote:Considered any sandwich effects? 2 helper cards etc. How are you learning the tricks? Youtube? Books? Something like Expert card technique has a heap of nice little routines or just single tricks.
I haven't really considered any sandwich effects, mostly because I don't really know any. I've seen a few but never really been taken by them. I'll look definitely have another look though :).

In the past, most tricks I've learnt have been via youtube (I usually watch a few tutorials and take the best advice from each). I do have a copy of Royal Road to Card magic, but not too many other books.

Are there any public domain card books? Is Expert at the Card table public domain (i.e. can I legally download them for free)?
Afrank8

Unread post by Afrank8 »

I've found an if an octopus could palm and an expert at the card table online, not sure on legality. There's a pretty simple sandwich effect you could do which I think is quite visual. You control a chosen card to the bottom and then place two helper cards face up one on top one on bottom. I've attached photos so you know what I mean. The index finger contacts the chosen card and you throw the deck out from between the helper cards clamping the chosen one between them. Looks really nice and then can be used with other sandwich routines.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (85.68 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
Leadeye

Unread post by Leadeye »

Thanks for the photo!

Now that you mention it, there was a trick I looked at a while ago where you use 2 helper cards to push a card out of the deck (similar to what you're describing).

I'll definitely look further into it (after some much needed sleep).

P.S. What cards are those? I don't think I know that deck.
Afrank8

Unread post by Afrank8 »

Global titans by epcc. Interesting finish, I like them for shuffles and second deals but I can't faro them for the life of me.
DelMagic

Unread post by DelMagic »

This looks like the finish in the trick Quick as a Wink in the Karl Fulves book Self-Working Card Tricks. I sold many of those books from demonstrating that effect.

There is no way "If An Octopus Could Palm" is a legal copy unless you downloaded it from Dan & Dave's site and they don't have it available there. I suggest you get rid of that copy.

Expert at the Card Table by Erdnase is in the public domain.
DelMagic

The best effects to do are those that you can do the best. From those that you do exceedingly well, pick out three or four that are very different in method and effect. Don't always include audience participation. It's nice when they can just relax and watch.

When you have a large repertoire, you can really begin to fine-tune the line-up of tricks. When you are a hobbyist and are just getting used to performing, it isn't necessary to create such a formal show. People rarely ever see close-up magic so what is old-hat to magicians is fresh and new to the average spectator. (Magician's spouses excepted.)
Leadeye

Unread post by Leadeye »

In my case, I've spent a lot of time handling cards and not that much time handling people. So this is my attempt to put together a list of effects that I can practice with the view to perform them later. Most of the effects in the list above, I already have a mechanical knowledge of, I just haven't fine-tuned to patter/rhythm/etc.

I do agree with your point though, that a strong performance is better than a strong effect.
DelMagic

I should think about putting together a set of effects for myself. I generally just do one trick when I perform so I don't think about routines much. It would be a good exercise to create a 12-15 minute set and a 25-30 minute set. I'll try to post some reports on my progress and perhaps the interaction here will be useful for the posters and the lurkers.