Brick and Mortar Magic

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
walrus

Brick and Mortar Magic

Unread post by walrus »

Hello :D Anyone familiar with any Magic Stores in NYC. I went to the City recently and went to tannens. I had heard a lot about it but was surprised to see it was a little hole in the wall. I could hardly see in the store and as they did not turn on the lights. The sales staff was very rude. A couple of kids behind the counter who were making stupid rude jokes (actually worse than my stupid rude jokes)

I heard there was a good store right near Grand Central but I could not find it. I know I can look online and find magic stores in NYC but I am looking for personal experiences, I do not want to waste my time at another place like Tannens.

Actually, I am also looking for a good shop in Boston. I have family in Boston (Best city in the US plus they have the Great Cathedral Fenway Park) and will be going there soon. Thanks for any suggestions. Very few good brick and mortar shops anymore, I like to purchase on the internet but it is good to enter a nice shop.
DelMagic

Re: Brick and Mortar Magic

Unread post by DelMagic »

Near Boston:

MAGIC ART STUDIO—HOME OF THE MAGIC ART BOOK COMPANY
WHERE THE PROFESSIONALS MEET

The Magic Art Studio is a Retail /Wholesale Shop in operation since 1976

Manufacturer of many fine products

Exclusive manufacturer and distributor of the General Grant Dove Products

Carries a unique line of custom made apparatus

Publisher of many fine hard bound books and several manuscripts

Picked by USA Today as on of the” 10 Best Magic Shops in the World”

Hours of Business:
Wednesday 1- 5
Thursday 1 -7
Friday 1-5
Saturday 10-5
Closed Sunday. Monday and Tuesday

The Magic Art Studio
137 Spring Street
Watertown MA 02472 USA
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Dude, thanks so much for that. I will probably check it out within a month or two. Are you involved with the shop.
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

There's a cool little magic shop in the lower level of the main arcade of Pike Place Market in Seattle... I don't remember the name of it, but there's always crowds of children and parents in there watching the owner do tricks. I thought it was a nice little shop. The guy doesn't carry any of the typical playing decks though... no Theory11, Ellusionist, D&D, CARC, etc... just generic magic decks.

Still a great little shop. :mrgreen:
DelMagic

Unread post by DelMagic »

walrus wrote:Dude, thanks so much for that. I will probably check it out within a month or two. Are you involved with the shop.
No, I have no affiliation with it. I was there once many years ago and they treated me so well that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. They don't have long hours though, which can be a hindrance to people just in town for a day or so. I hope you can stop in.