Ender's Review: The Queen Thing (Scott Robinson)

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
EndersGame
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Ender's Review: The Queen Thing (Scott Robinson)

Unread post by EndersGame »

The Queen Thing (Scott Robinson)

A wonderful asymmetrical transposition

Overview

Transpositions can be one of the most powerful visual effects in magic, and this asymmetrical transposition comes from Scott Robinson, described by some as an "underground legend" in magic. This effect was originally published in Trapdoor magazine, and several magicians have done different versions of it; this is Scott's take (the name is also his), which he has been refining and performing for over 25 years.

In this review I'll tell you about his routine "The Queen Thing", and what you get for your money if you pick up this digital download which is available for $10 from Vanishing Inc Magic.

Effect

​You begin by introducing the "five card trick", showing the four queens, and allowing the spectator to select a random card as the fifth card, which is added to the packet. Now the magic begins: first the packet is then shown one card at a time, and the spectator's card has vanished - all that remains are the four queens. Then there's another moment of magic: you reach into your pocket and pull out the four queens one at a time! And what about the packet of queens in your hand? That's revealed for the final twist: it has turned into the spectator's selection!

View Scott demonstrate the effect in a 90 second performance video clip here:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/180577855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video

What you get for around $10 is an instant digital download of the video which teaches the effect. I got the video from Vanishing Inc Magic, where it is available here.

The video is just under 8 minutes long in total, and begins with a performance with a spectator, followed by just over 6 minutes of explanation. The file is a 175 MB download, and the quality is excellent, with good sound and visuals all round, as well as several camera angles, including close-ups of the cards.

Teaching

​Scott does a good job of explaining everything. Even though it's not a long video, he doesn't waste time, and covers all the essentials cleanly and smoothly; I wasn't left with any questions by the time the explanation was done. I also appreciated the fact that he gives attention to all the small details that really help make this trick work, including how to display the cards at critical points, and careful wording of the patter. A real strength of the video is that it not only explains the method, but also all the details of the presentation.

Difficulty

Skill with some basic sleights is assumed and required, such as false counts, p*l*ing, and some steals and other moves. So this trick will be beyond the beginner, even though Scott does briefly explain these moves. There are also quite a number of small nuances about the handling to remember, with some important subtleties and convincers that help maintain and sell the illusion.

Impressions

This effect can't be formed entirely impromptu, because a small amount of preparation is required, but no gaffs are required - it's all sleight of hand. Since the effect involves a card to pocket, you'll also need the appropriate attire. But it is a powerful effect with some very surprising moments, and as the routine progresses there are three moments of real magic, the final one being the strongest when the four queens are shown to have turned into the spectator's chosen card.

​As far as asymmetrical transpositions go, this is a very fun and strong routine, that has had the benefit of Scott's careful refinement with the experience of more than two decades of performance. So it's something tried and proven in the real world. As such it's a real worker, and is something that once learned and mastered can be used over and over, for example if working tables in a restaurant setting.

Endorsements

Here are some positive comments that other magicians have to say about this routine:
"This is one of my favorite downloads! Very convincing, every move has its reason to be, it is simply a very well-constructed magic effect. It is now in my professional repertoire." - Jorge Betancourt
"I love twist endings. Here Scott presents and teaches his well-structured card routine that culminates in a delightful surprise ending. Highly recommended!" - Greg Eanes
"I love this trick. It is direct, hard hitting, and the best part, no difficult sleight of hand giving you more time to focus on presentation." - anonymous
"There are some fine touches that make the small investment well worth while. Three thumbs up!" - Richard Tuckerman
"I have been doing Scott's Queen thing for a while now and I love it! Each move has been carefully thought out to help set you up for such a clean handling! Fully recommend!" - John Hinton

Recommendation

For the intermediate magician, The Queen Thing is well worth the effort to learn, given the impact it has, and the striking impression that an asymmetrical transposition can create. Well done Scott Robertson!

Want to learn more? See the digital download at Vanishing Inc Magic: The Queen Thing
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=