Born to Perform Card Magic (Oz Pearlman) - the new edition

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
EndersGame
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Born to Perform Card Magic (Oz Pearlman) - the new edition

Unread post by EndersGame »

Born to Perform Card Magic DVD (2013) by Oz Pearlman

An expanded and updated version of a classic introduction to card magic

A New Version?

I recently picked up the new edition of Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform Card Magic DVD, which was released in 2013. I was curious how it compared with the original DVD that was released in 2003, and in this review I'll summarize what the differences are, and what the contents of the new edition include.

I bought my DVD of the 2013 version from Penguin Magic here. The nice thing is that in addition to sending you the DVD of the new edition, Penguin Magic also gives you access to a digital download of both the 2003 version and the 2013 version, so you get the best of both worlds. Both videos are videos in *.mp4 format, with the 2003 video being 753 MB in size, and the 2013 video being 1.43 GB in size.

Length

The new edition is billed as an updated/expanded version, and that's clearly evident when you compare the length of the two videos:

2003 version: 1 hour 44 minutes
2013 version: 3 hours 48 minutes

Here's the official trailer video for the new edition:

Differences

So what's the difference exactly? Well for starters, Oz himself is now 10 years older, and has a lot more professional experience under his belt. He has a new look and even a new smile.

Everything has been re-filmed and the explanations have been re-done from scratch. Most of the content covers the same material, but not exactly - I'll mention what exactly those differences are in the next section.

Content on the original 2003 Edition only

Not everything that was in the 2003 edition of the DVD is found in the 2013 edition, and several sections from the original have vanished. These are the following:

CONTROLS
- Classic Pass
- Hindu Shuffle Pass
- One Handed Top Palm
- Elmsley Count

FORCES:
- Riffle Force

Content on the new 2013 Edition only

The new edition, however, is about twice as long, and that's because some of the explanations are more detailed and elaborate, but also because it has some new material. Here's a list of all the new topics:

ROUTINES:
- Slop Shuffle
- Card to Mouth
- Blossom Production

CONTROLS:
- Gamblers Cop
- False Overhand Shuffle

FORCES:
- Dribble Force
- Spread Cull Force

FLOURISHES:
- Swivel Change

Comparison

It's a pity to see some material from the original version left out in the new version, especially the Riffle Force (given its popularity), and the Elmsley Count (given that it is used in so many tricks). I'm also curious why a decision was made to eliminate the Pass, although this is a more advanced move that is typically beyond the scope of beginners, and perhaps that's why it was removed. If material was going to be added, the Glide would have been an obvious addition as a fairly basic sleight, so I'm surprised that this continues to be an omission from what is intended to be a good introduction to fundamentals.

But the additional elements are very solid, and the increased number of routines in the new version will especially be welcome to many people. What I like most, however, is the fact that the sleights and moves are taught in a little more detail, and I think the more elaborate explanations here are very helpful.

Oz himself appears to have lost some of his youthful innocence, and comes across a little more brash and almost over-confident. I'm still not quite sure what to make of his new business suit attired persona, or whether I prefer the younger Oz. But he is still an excellent teacher, and that's really what this video is all about. It's always been an excellent choice for relative beginners looking to get a good handle on the fundamentals of card magic, and overall this enhanced version only makes a good thing even better.

Content Listing for the Updated/Expanded 2013 Edition

For those unfamiliar with the original DVD, here's are some screenshots of the menu of the new version, which show the entire contents that you'll find on the 2013 edition.

Recommendation

Oz Pearlman's "Born to Perform Card Magic" DVD has always been applauded for being a great introduction to the fundamentals of card magic, and one of the better entries in this genre. The updated and expanded 2013 edition takes something that is a proven success, and expands it for a new audience that may not be familiar with the original. It still deserves to be one of the top recommendations for new magicians, and continues to be an excellent starting point to give beginners a good head-start with their card magic.

Want to learn more? Check out the product page at Penguin Magic here: Born to Perform Card Magic DVD
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=