[REVIEW] Paul Harris' True Astonishment boxset DISC ONE

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
nur1988

[REVIEW] Paul Harris' True Astonishment boxset DISC ONE

Unread post by nur1988 »

So I've decided to give you all an in depth review of the TA boxset. I'm starting off with the first DVD as I've not watched every single one enough to give an in depth review on. But I will do as the weeks go by :)

First of all, just a little info the TA boxset. From what I understand, Paul Harris spent a good couple of years trying to perfect this entire boxset in what has been deemed to be the 'final legacy'. It's a very monumental piece, a project of the highest caliber. The original boxset was a puzzle box designed by some top puzzle maker (if anyone knows their name, please do share). This edition of the boxset was very limited. The new style boxset is just a simple wooden box with a lid that slides on and off - simple, elegant and beautifully crafted. In the box you get the 9 DVDs (the original had little slots to put the DVDs in, unfortunately, this one didn't) and a bag full of gimmicks to aid you with your tricks. The gimmicks came in a vintage banknote-style bag, the kind of bag the Bicycle Heritage series came in.
At the end of each trick, PH gives his personal view, hints and tips on the trick to further help you.
On the DVDs themselves, apart from the tricks, you have crap loads of 'easter eggs' to hunt for. I'm still searching. The bonus material includes extra tricks, interviews and performances.
Bro Gilbert presents and teaches most of the tricks on the DVD, and he does an amazing job of it too.

So here goes ..

DISC ONE

TWILIGHT ANGELS
Defo in my top 5 tricks on this set, even if I haven't tried out some of them :). This effect is originally in the Art of Astonishment book. Unfortuantely, I never got the opportunity to purchase or read one, so this was very new to me when watching and performing it. Paul Harris says that it's favourite trick, and I can understand why!

THE EFFECT
For those who don't know, the effect is this:

The spectator is asked to choose a card and sign it. The magician then proceeds to tell the spectator about the angels on the back. on the DVD, Wayne Houchin goes on to say how the angels were split apart and are meant to be together. The magician then gets a mirror like object and captures the reflection of the angel on the back of the card. He then proceeds to make it appear next to the other angel.

MY VIEW
As you probably already know, I love this trick :) the presentation and the method is just amazing. The spectator doesn't expect what's going to happen, having the card signed, seeing two angels opposite each other, then seeing them side by side is just WOW for the spectator. Best of all, you can give it away as a souvenir. You end up clean and maybe get a kiss at the end lol

RATING
10/10

BACKLASH 2
I believe this is a revamp of the original Backlash found in the Art of Astonishment book.

THE EFFECT
The spectator selects a card and signs in front and back. The magician puts the signed card in his pocket, spectator pushes it in. He then makes it re-appear in the deck and then in an instant makes it disappear and re-appear back in his pocket, there is a surprise kicker ending at the end.

MY VIEW
Hmmmm, I'm 50/50 with this. It's good, but I don't think it's Paul Harris standard. I think it's very hard to justify the presentation. Bro Gilbert does a good job of it, but I don't feel like it's enough. Of course, this is a matter of opinion ;) it can be very confusing if not performed correctly. But if it can be pulled off, then it's definately an 'OMG' moment ;)

RATING
6/10

NEW LEAF
Nothing like the original leaf effect by paul harris. A twist on a torn and restored effect.

THE EFFECT
The magician gives the spectator two leaves (one ripped and one whole), who then puts her hands behind her back and rubs the two leaves magically restoring the ripped leaf with the aid of the bigger leaf.

MY VIEW
Very nice effect. The teaching and the method is very paul harris like. There is a setup involved, very minimal, some may even say it's almost improptu. The clean up for this effect is great because the spectator cleans up and they don't even know it :). It's probably best just to perform this for one or two people. The only concern I have is, when does it come into play?! If you're camping or going for walk with trees around you, it's good. But if you're in the city or in tourist attraction spots than there's no justifiable reason to perform this. BUT Bro does an amazing job of teaching this, so if you just follow his guidlines, you'll be fine :)

RATING
8/10

CHENG'S CHANGE

THE EFFECT
A poor five card poker hand changes into a royal flush with just a flick.

MY VIEW
This is very very visual. If you are familiar with Zapped, this is just another version that simulates it. It's fast, flashy and, in my opinion, made for youtube. The problem I have with this is, it's a quick trick and no more. This isn't really an opener or a finisher. It's one of those illusions made for the camera, made for youtube. On the DVD, it doesn't even show him performing to anyone which is disappointing. Don't get me wrong, visual effects are great, especially the ones that are quick and straight to the point, but that's all it is.

RATING
6/10

THE BIG TINY

THE EFFECT
A spectator’s name is written on the long side of a full deck of cards. The spectator then shuffles the deck. Four piles are then created, the spectator tells u, card by card, which stack to put each card in until you run out. The spectator picks a stack to find that their name has shrunk there name has shrunk and is written on the side of that stack. For the ultimate kicker, they discover their name on all four stacks.

MY VIEW
WOW!! If anyones familiar with "Unshuffled" by Paul Gertner, you'll recognise the basic principle for this effect. I do love this trick, having the name on the side of the deck is a great touch and very meaningful. The handling is great, if you know a false shuffles, they come in very handy for this effect. Spectators will love this effect. Only problem I have with this is, it's ruins a whole deck. If you have countless decks, then by all means, you can repeat this trick AND is a great souvenir to give away. BUT after this effect, you wont be able to really use it again, maybe for playing poker ...

RATING
7.5/10

Hope you enjoyed reading this review. I'll be adding to this hopefully in the next couple of days.

WATCH THIS SPACE ;)
walrus

Re: [REVIEW] Paul Harris' True Astonishment boxset DISC ONE

Unread post by walrus »

Nurry, great review. I can not do that, I simply write a thumbs up or thumbs down. I did not know Twilight Angels was on True Astonishment, I know that is sold as a single effect. I have only heard good things about True Astonishment. I know it is a bit expensive but from what I have heard it is worth the money. Glad to hear you will be doing further reviews. As I expected my package with Risen, Haunted 2.0 and Skycap arrived today. I will try to write a bit about them in the next week or so. I have run into a problem doing tricks. I tend to just break something out, throw a bit of a rap around, do the trick and finish. I have lost my routines. Perhaps I will get it back but although doing "tricks" is missing a big part of magic I still have fun with them
nur1988

Re: [REVIEW] Paul Harris' True Astonishment boxset DISC ONE

Unread post by nur1988 »

Yes, expensive but well worth it :D That is true, due to high demand (i think), it is sold individually as a deck so you can repeat it 52 times (although I think theres 53 or 54 in a deck). Same with lubors lens and the TA pen, theyre sold individually but are also included in this set. I can't wait to hear your views on your products especially for haunted 2.0 - i absolutely love this trick too (i'm a sucker for gimmicks lol)