Book Review: Less is More by Benjamin Earl

In here you'll find rabbits in hats and aces up sleeves.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Book Review: Less is More by Benjamin Earl

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

Title: Less is More
Creator: Benjamin Earl
Publisher: Vanishing Inc
MSRP: $ 50
Skill Level: Intermediate to advanced
142 pages

Type of effect: Book on Card sleights and magic

Manufacturer's Write Up: When Benjamin Earl takes a shuffled deck and cuts to the four Aces, it feels completely authentic -- as if his deft fingers can somehow locate them by touch alone. But here's a secret: he has developed techniques and psychological methods that fake this seemingly impossible feat.

The journey starts by looking at Henry Christ's classic "Fabulous Four Ace" routine and improving it one piece at a time. His noble list of goals for the routine include removing anti-climactic moments and ensuring that the revelations build in progressively stronger and more distinctive ways. He achieves this in spades.

That routine is the springboard for further experimentation. Ben's analysis of the four-Ace effect leads him along many interesting paths, stripping away every unnecessary action. He teaches twelve complete Ace-cutting effects and gambling demonstrations (including a multi-phased routine that requires absolutely no sleight of hand), and provides thorough and thoughtful analysis on their construction.

Ben also teaches a collection of original moves and techniques, focusing on three areas: maintaining a stack while a spectator shuffles the deck, maintaining the stack himself, and producing the Aces. In particular, the Sting Cut and his Real Optical False Shuffle are two moves that introduce the idea of improvisation into the mix.

This is a gorgeous 142-page hardback book, bursting with high-quality photographs. It's as much a book on the theory and construction of card magic, as it is a tome of workable effects and world-class card technique.

What do I think?

The book has a beautiful layout and it’s packed with information. Other people are saying “it’s the best book I’ve bought in years” and that it’s their “favorite book on card magic.” Benjamin Earl has brilliant thinking, coupled with exceptional magic. I would expect nothing less from him.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

___X__ Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

My thoughts: Love Benjamin Earl – top notch world class book, sure to become one of your favorite reads.

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apqMmyWcmXU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/