can you get sponsored by a card company?

Show us how good you are with your hands...
Psynced

can you get sponsored by a card company?

Unread post by Psynced »

the title says it all really. i know stuff like skateboarding companys will send their sponsors boards or bearings. something like that. Can that happen with card companies? I know fontaine has "sponsored" cardists. What qualifies for sponsorship and are there any companies that would sponsor someone? Send them a couple decks to get a bunch of publicity on?
volantangel
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 350

Re: can you get sponsored by a card company?

Unread post by volantangel »

Sure, there are companies like Ellusionist that sponsor cardists/magicians in one way or another. But you have to ask yourself, what do you bring to the table? Do you have 5000 followers on instagram ? Are you a prominent member of some cardist group?

Basically i feel that there are 4 groups of people who gets "Sponsored" 1. Performers (Cardists/Magicians) 2. Deck Reviewers 3. Photographers

I fall into the the 3rd group myself, and i do get "sponsored" once in a while. So ask yourself, are you bloody good at what you do ?
Psynced

Unread post by Psynced »

What are some companies you can go about contancting? I assume Ellusionist or Theory 11 would be hard to get noticed by instead of companies like Vanda Cards or smaller companies.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

If you are good enough at what you do, they will come to you. I dont think this works too much the other way. Perhaps take part in their contests, if you impress them enough they might come looking for you
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

volantangel wrote:If you are good enough at what you do, they will come to you. I dont think this works too much the other way. Perhaps take part in their contests, if you impress them enough they might come looking for you
Yeah, I feel like it's either this or you have to know someone on the inside. As with any other similar venue, it's often more about who you know rather than how good you are at what you do. I would imagine something like the 52+J convention would be a good place to network for someone looking to get sponsored.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki