A question of Progress

Show us how good you are with your hands...
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

A question of Progress

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

I've been practicing for about two months. I have tried to limit things to a couple techniques at a time to concentrate my efforts and not try to do too much at once. So far I have mastered, to my satisfaction the Charlier cut and Spring. I was able to perform these "OK" after a few days. As of now I can do both without looking at the deck quite well, especially the Spring.

My questions. I don't have much time to devote to practice, but is this taking too long? I am not getting impatient and I enjoy the practice, but am I wasting my time? Should I stick to collecting?
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: A question of Progress

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Most flourishes aren't hard to learn, but mastering them (which is what it sounds like you've done) can take some time. I wouldn't say a month is a lot for really getting those two down well, especially the spring. Took me a good while (I never recorded the time, so I really don't know exactly) to get a smooth, long spring. It is, compared to most of the cuts and shuffles, much more demanding in terms of muscular control. I.e. it's not just about moving your fingers to where they should be, it's using force to bend the deck and slowly releasing the cards smoothly.

And, of course, enjoying it is the most important thing. As someone once said "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted" (Lennon?).

So yeah. Nice work :D
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
nECr0MaNCeD

MagikFingerz wrote:Most flourishes aren't hard to learn, but mastering them (which is what it sounds like you've done) can take some time. I wouldn't say a month is a lot for really getting those two down well, especially the spring. Took me a good while (I never recorded the time, so I really don't know exactly) to get a smooth, long spring. It is, compared to most of the cuts and shuffles, much more demanding in terms of muscular control. I.e. it's not just about moving your fingers to where they should be, it's using force to bend the deck and slowly releasing the cards smoothly.

And, of course, enjoying it is the most important thing. As someone once said "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted" (Lennon?).

So yeah. Nice work :D

Thank you sir. I am trying to figure out what to start next.
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Hi nECr0MaNCeD. I`m not a flourisher by any account (My Nerves are shot to pieces). But would like to say if you enjoy it then keep at it my friend. When showing my cards to friends and family i like to fan them out for them, not much i know but i enjoy doing it. "Don`t be in a rush to finish your journey, as you may miss the great sights on the way".
nECr0MaNCeD

Nice quote. Thanks. I have decided to practice fanning next as it seems to be hard for me.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Fanning is probably the way I enjoy unique back designs the most, so much that it influences my criteria of the decks I buy.

Start with a thumb fan (took me MUCH less time than a pressure fan), use a brand new deck or one you know glides well and does not clump at all, wash your hands and do a few cuts and shuffles in between practicing to avoid having your fingers on the same top card for too long.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
nECr0MaNCeD

MagikFingerz wrote:Fanning is probably the way I enjoy unique back designs the most, so much that it influences my criteria of the decks I buy.

Start with a thumb fan (took me MUCH less time than a pressure fan), use a brand new deck or one you know glides well and does not clump at all, wash your hands and do a few cuts and shuffles in between practicing to avoid having your fingers on the same top card for too long.

Thanks for the advice. clean hands. Check. cuts and shuffles. Check. Fan? Nope! GRRRRRRRRRR.... Springs were far easier.