Tips on faro shuffling

Show us how good you are with your hands...
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Tips on faro shuffling

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

This is focused on faroing "in the hands", as opposed to a tabled faro shuffle.

The best way to grip the packets are with three fingers on one side, thumb on the other, and the last finger on the top or bottom (index and pinky respectively). Some people use the index finger of the hand holding the bottom packet to help with lining up the two packets (tip is placed where the two packets meet), while others prefer to have it curled towards the bottom packet to keep it squared. You may also want to experiment with which hand holds which packet, I usually hold the top with my left hand even though I'm right hand dominant, though I have no problems doing it the other way either.

The thing about faro shuffling is really just finding the right angle of the two packets and the right amount of pressure. A methodical approach may help; try starting with a 30 degree angle between the packets and push them together at the nearest corners. Move slowly towards smaller angles (25, 20, 15 and so on) until you find a spot where they start interlacing, then try different amounts of pressure. Another thing that many tutorials don't mention is that at a completed faro the cards will end up at a 0 degree angle, which means that DURING the faro (from when the first few cards start interlacing to when they're all interlaced) the two packets should move from whichever angle they started at to 0. This will keep the pressure constant throughout the interlacing.

Hope this helps! Feel free to post any questions or even images/videos of you trying to do it if you're struggling :)

PS. As with any flourish, keep in mind that if you're not using a USPCC printed deck or one of a similar standard, the deck may not be able to perform a flourish like this no matter the skill or technique. Just like the coating/finish is crucial to fans, so is the cutting to faros.
Attachments
Faro.JPG
Faro.JPG (43.48 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Eoghann

Re: Tips on faro shuffling

Unread post by Eoghann »

Hmm. I'll have to get back to you a few months from now. I've been practicing for hours and my hands are cramping. I can't even get the weave started. I'm just jamming the edges together. I could go all day trying to explain what I think is wrong but it's probably best if I upload some kind of video.
Oswin
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Oswin »

According to me the first tips is to have a new deck! And we can begin to max out packets on the major traded cards. Simpler and less destructive rounded corners. Finally, it is my experience talking.
"Le temps passe, mais les oeufs durs !" - Daniel Prévost
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

My experience is that while a certain amount of pressure is needed, you shouldn't be mashing the cards together against each other. Like MF stated, with just a little pressure and the right angle, the cards should almost faro automatically. For me, the critical thing to find out is which direction the cards are cut. So if you have a traditionally cut deck, the cards will naturally faro front-to-back. Regardless of cut, I can usually faro any deck either direction, but faroing in the direction of the way the deck is cut is much easier and requires much less pressure.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

OH OH OH THIS I KNOW !! Haha tip is to know how the deck behaves, ie, how it is cut. For the newer decks it is typically easier to start from the back design, while the old ohio decks are the opposite side. If you were to start from the "wrong" side , the feeling you will is like you are rubbing sandpaper. But over use, breaking in the edges would allow you to faro both sides, but it's still easier to do it on one side than the other.

MY FIRST POST IN THE CARDISTRY SECTION WOOHOOOOO !!

Edit: oh I just saw sinjins post in front of mine.. :(
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Top marks for enthusiasm :lol:

Still a good point that I forgot to mention, so I don't mind it being posted twice.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Progress report:

Well, many days, decks and failed attempts later, I decided to try out a new deck. And like magic the cards just fell into place! A 90s Bicycle Red Rider Back.

Granted I'm not nailing it with every attempt, and I'm still left with a few stragglers at the end of the weave; but it's definitely a vast improvement from before. Can't believe how little pressure is needed vs how much I was initially applying. Plus there's a little wrist work involved as far as I can tell. As I'm gently pushing the lower packet inward, the top one is sort of peeling back, allowing the weave to start.

Thanks!
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Can't thank you enough for the advice guys. Never thought I'd be doing these anytime soon. Pretty sloppy, but it's getting there. :)

Thanks again!
Attachments
image.jpg
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin