Left hand - you're up!

Show us how good you are with your hands...
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Left hand - you're up!

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

I was messing around with some decks with different stiffness and was doing springs and for no reason tried doing it with my left hand. It was crap. So I got this idea - I'm going to try to "start over" by using my left hand as my dominant hand. Deck goes in a right dealer's grip, and I'll try to master some easy two-handed cuts. I'm having difficulty already with a simple swing cut, so training some left hand coordination should do me good. Anyone else want to join, feel free to share your starting point and progress here :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Blake
Decks Owned: 300

Re: Left hand - you're up!

Unread post by Blake »

Sure I will give it a shot is there a list of things you want to try and master with the non dominant hand? Co-dominance never hurt anyone.... well except pride that is.
The Joker
Eric

Unread post by Eric »

ive had this idea as well.. i can sybil and add the rev sometimes, ive tried madonna 2 and fail almost every time. but I am an ambidextrous flourisher. i love doing the same moves in both hands like kryp's and L's n such.. but 2 handed cuts are difficult. best of luck man :P i think it will be worth the practice
MotleyFool

Unread post by MotleyFool »

It feels odd replying to a year old post but I was just thinking about this today.

Even though I'm right-handed my left hand has always been the dominant when dealing with cards. I realize now my cello playing has helped my left hand's dexterity considerably since I have to stretch to reach all the notes, whereas, my right hand just has to hold on to the bow (harder than it looks mind you.)
On an interesting note, I think practising single-hand cuts has improved my bowhold! :shock:

Since my right hand isn't as good, I also started practising cuts with that hand first. Now I try to do them both at the same time. Hope it has help you as much as it has helped me! :D
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

MotleyFool wrote:It feels odd replying to a year old post but I was just thinking about this today.
Heh, yeah I didn't really follow through with this :oops:

I've always done one-handed cuts in both hands though, and probably more often in my left hand because that's where the deck is (in a dealer's grip) most of the time anyway. It's probably more about the strength (like in a spring, as I mentioned in the OP) rather than the dexterity for me. I mostly use my right hand/arm whenever I pick up or carry stuff. And I can tell my grip is stronger in my right because when I lift weights I get much more skin tears and calluses in my right hand (more skin contact with the barbell).

Maybe one day I'll do some research and make a training program for cardists :ugeek:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki