Pictorial Review: Deluxe decks from Art of Play

How well does your favorite deck hold up?
EndersGame
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Pictorial Review: Deluxe decks from Art of Play

Unread post by EndersGame »

ART OF PLAY: Deluxe Decks

As far as a source for creative playing cards goes, you won't really find a better place than the Art of Play website ([url=http://"http://www.artofplay.com]artofplay.com[/url]). I've recently been scouring the internet to research some of the places you can get beautiful playing cards, and When I first discovered the Art of Play website I was blown away by the variety, creativity, quality, and beauty of the decks of playing cards they have available. Their catalogue of Playing Cards is self-described as "A collection of the absolute finest playing cards in the world. Featuring hand-painted works of art, award-winning design and luxury packaging." And they're not far wrong - it contains over 130 different decks, including some stunningly creative and artistic designs. Owned and managed by magicians and cardists Dan & Dave Buck, Art of Play carries some of the most beautiful decks of playing cards I've ever seen. In this review, I will show you some of what I consider to be their deluxe decks that I own myself and have first-hand experience with, and I will give you a pictorial overview of them.

Now arguably all the Dan & Dave decks are deluxe. But not all kinds of deluxe are created equal, and some forms of deluxe are even more luxurious than others! Below are some fine examples:

DAN AND DAVE PRIVATE RESERVE

If you really want luxury, it doesn't get better than the top of the line Dan and Dave Private Reserve deck of playing cards.

This baby is ridiculously beautiful and over the top. I was blown away when I first held this deck in my hands. An actual wax seal on the tuck box? That's crazy! Crazy good, of course.

Playing cards don't get more luxurious than this. The box has a matt finish with gold foil that just looks elegant and super classy.

The number cards are fairly standard, although you'll get a sense of luxury just by looking at the card backs, which have a classy black design inlaid with gold foil.

The court cards, on the other hand, feature a deep burgundy, with gold/yellow highlights. This gives them a very elegant look, and makes the court cards in a standard deck look garish and amateurish in comparison!

Each deck is individually signed and numbered!

Naturally in making these, Dan and Dave Buck ensured that they used a premium card-stock and finish, and had US Playing Card Company produce these to their very highest standards, to ensure outstanding quality all round.

This exclusive deck was designed by Jeff Trish. I especially love the small print on the bottom flap of the tuck box, which reads: "For all that is true, we are makers of magical things, pervayors of gentleman goods. Find us at dananddave.com."

DKNG GAMING SET

The DKNG Gaming Set brings luxury in a different direction, with the addition of a beautiful wooden case that is laser engraved, and has a strong magnetic seal. This gaming set was the result of a collaboration with DKNG, a Californian creative studio.

The engraving on the outside lid is just beautiful, and you can run your fingers over it to feel the grooves, while the inside of the lid says in neat laser printed letters "Made in the USA" and "DKNG + Art of Play".

Included inside are two decks of DKNG playing cards, a Red Wheel deck and a Blue Wheel deck, plus five custom dice (with skull stamped snake eyes).

The Red Wheel deck features gold accents that are a result of gold metallic ink.

The face cards offer a modern take on the classic court cards. Notice how the colour scheme on all the cards is red/blue instead of the usual red/black, while all the pips are divided in half, to emphasize the gold ink.

The decks are a reinterpretation of the classic Bicycle Rider Backs, with the bicycle influence clearly evident on the wooden case, the tuck boxes, the card backs, and the gorgeous Ace of Spades.

The playing cards are also available as a separate item, as DKNG Playing Cards, in both the "Blue Wheel" or "Red Wheel" colours.

The difference between these two decks is more than just the card backs. In the Red Wheel deck a gold metallic ink is used, while in the Blue Wheel deck a silver metallic ink is used, giving the front of the cards and the pips quite a different look.

CONCLUSION

If you're in the market for something creative, unique, unusual, memorable, and hard to find or duplicate, it's hard to think of a better place to look than artofplay.com. Whether you're looking for that one-of-a-kind high end deck for your own enjoyment, or a gift for another gamer, Art of Play has something that will suit, and the decks you see here are fine examples.

To see more, head here: artofplay.com
Also see: Brand Spotlight: Art of Play

Dan & Dave Private Reserve: https://www.dananddave.com/collections/ ... te-reserve
DKNG Gaming Set: https://www.artofplay.com/products/dkng-gaming-set
DKNG Playing Cards: https://www.artofplay.com/products/dkng-playing-cards

--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=